An Indoor Cycle with Preset Programs & 32-Pound Flywheel
The Diamondback 510Ic Indoor Cycle Trainer combines a rather heavy drive with preset programs and heart rate controlled workouts. With its 32-pound flywheel and 16 resistance levels, this bike is especially popular with intermediate and beginning spinners.
The Diamondback 510Ic Indoor Cycle Trainer is built for a wide range of indoor/outdoor cycling enthusiasts. Unlike many other stationary bikes, it combines a rather heavy drive with preset programs. This combination supports experienced spinners as well as beginners seeking intense workouts. The programming includes standard workouts, heart rate controlled workouts, and space for a custom user program.
The Diamondback 510Ic indoor cycle has a 32-pound flywheel, 16 resistance levels and 14 workout modes. Its regular online price is $799 with shipping included. Below are details about this bike’s various features.
- Quiet Operation: Diamondback Fitness uses magnetic drives on all its bikes. This helps all of their bikes run quietly, and the 510Ic in particularly is an almost silent spinner.
- Sturdy Frame: This trainer has a heavy steel frame. It can officially support up to 300 pounds.
- Exercise Data: The workout data include speed, distance, elapsed time, watts, heart rate and cadence.
- Heart Rate Monitoring: Integrated contact heart rate sensors not only provide a constant readout, but can control the Diamondback bike’s resistance. However, keep in mind that contact grips aren’t known for their accuracy.
- Preset Fitness Programs: The console has 14 programs. These include manual mode, eight standard preset programs, four heart rate controlled programs, and a custom user-defined program.
- Water Bottle Holder: A water bottle holder is attached to the bike frame.
- Adjustable: The handlebars and seats can be adjusted for different body types.
- Wheels: For easy transport, the Diamondback 510lc Indoor Cycle Trainer has wheels affixed to its frame.
- High Capacity: The 510Ic has a maximum user weight capacity of 300 pounds.
- Warranty: The bike is sold with limited lifetime coverage on the frame and brake, three years for parts and electronics, and a year of labor. That’s a pretty good deal for this price bracket. However, wear parts are only covered for 90 days. A variety of extended warranties are available.
Here are some potential drawbacks of buying the Diamondback 510Ic.
- Getting Repairs: This product is usually high quality. However, it seems that a small number of defective machines slip past quality control. Some customers subsequently report great experience with customer service, but others do not.
- Console: The console is rather small and requires some scrolling instead of having “Quick Start” buttons. A wider LCD giving quicker access to programs would be nice. Granted, many cycle trainers don’t even have consoles.
- Contact Heart Rate Monitor: The heart rate controlled programs rely on contact sensors. Some customers have reported that these sensors are significantly less accurate than wireless systems are. The upgrade to this unit — the Diamondback 910Ic Indoor Cycle Trainer — uses wireless heart rate monitoring.
- Uncomfortable Seat: This bike’s seat is adjustable in terms of height and angle, but it’s not especially well cushioned. Adding a gel cover is recommended.
- Computerized Resistance: On one hand, computerized resistance is convenient. On the other, it means that if the computer breaks down, the bike will be much less useful. Also, it seems a bit odd that Diamondback didn’t break the resistance down into 32 levels instead of 16.
Who Should Ride the Diamondback 510Ic Indoor Cycle Trainer?
Elite athletes can also get excellent cardio workouts, but some would prefer the heavier drive of the Diamondback 910Ic.
The Bottom Line
The Diamondback 510Ic Indoor Cycle Trainer is generally a good buy for everyday weight loss, strength training and intense cardiovascular exercise. With a rather heavy drive and motivating programming, it’s also a top choice for many outdoor biking enthusiasts on rainy days.
A caution is that when this product isn’t made perfectly, getting help can sometimes be difficult. Also, since Diamondback’s heart rate controlled programs are potentially very useful, it’s a shame that this bike doesn’t use top-notch wireless monitoring. Wireless monitoring is provided on the $999 Diamondback 910Ic.
Diamondback 510Ic Indoor Cycle Trainer Specs:
|Resistance:||16 Resistance Levels|
|Weight Capacity:||300 LBS|
|Dimensions:||42" L x 23" W x 46" H|