A Low-Impact Bike with iFit & 30 Preset Workouts
The Epic A17r Recumbent Bike attracts buyers with its 30 built-in programs, iFit readiness and comfortable seating. This fitness machine has a 17-pound flywheel and is best for not-so-intense rehab and cardio training.
The Epic A17r Recumbent Exercise Bike is Epic Fitness’s only recumbent cycle. Delivered with 30 preset workouts and iFit readiness, this comfortable ride is meant for people seeking low-impact cardio training with lots of helpful guidance. Also included are integrated speakers for MP3 players, a drink holder and an adjustable 4″ workout fan.
With an online discount the Epic A17r Bike costs $549.99. (The original price was $799.99.) Here are some pros and cons about owning the A17r.
- Adjustable Recumbent Seat: A bike saddle matters, and Epic gets it right! The A17r’s saddle has “EnergyReturn,” which is cushioning that helps reduce fatigue and promote endurance. The chair-like bike seat can easily be slid back and forth for a just-right fit for most adults. It has a supportive mesh backing that lets air flow through.
- Preset Workouts: The Epic A17r Bike arrives with 30 trainer-designed workouts to help trainees reach different fitness goals, such as weight loss or endurance. It also lets users create and save four exercise routines.
- iFit Technology: The A17r is iFit-ready! Besides downloading customized bike workouts, iFit members can virtually train with Jillian Michaels and other celebrity personal trainers, compete in online bike races, and experience bike routes from around the world. Using iFit costs $9.99/month or $99/year.
- Easy-to-Use Console: The console screen isn’t big, but it’s high-definition and has a user-friendly interface. Choosing from preset programs and navigating iFit are easy.
- Adjustable Console: The console and handlebars can be tilted for a customized ride.
- Oversized Pedals: The pedals have oversized platforms for comfort. Adjustable straps are provided for slip-free rides.
- Speakers: Music makes workouts better. Epic exercise bikes have speakers for iPods or other MP3 players.
- Water Bottle Holder: Keep water handy with Epic’s integrated bottle holder.
- Workout Fan: This bike has a 4″ workout fan with two speeds.
- Quiet Operation: Nobody wants a noisy ride. This bike’s inertia-enhanced flywheel is meant to smooth and quiet operation. As noted below though, it doesn’t always operate as intended.
- Wireless Heart Rate System: This bike includes a wireless heart rate chest strap and receiver. It also has grip pulse readers built into the handlebars.
- Transport Wheels: Just tip the machine forward when it’s time to move. Wheels are mounted to the front of the frame.
- Small Footprint: Despite its recumbent frame, the Epic A17r doesn’t take up much space. Its footprint measures approximately 26″ wide x 52″ long. This is a clue that it’s not meant for 6′-tall riders.
- Safety Feature: A code can be set to prevent children from activating the machine.
- OK Assembly Process: Customers consistently report that the A17r is straightforward to assemble. With two people working together, it takes about an hour.
Why wouldn’t you choose the Epic A17r? Here are some potential drawbacks.
- Poor Quality Control: When the bike works, it’s fantastic. Some people have gotten faulty machines though, and this product has some disappointed owners. Customers’ complaints include a dimly-lit LCD, a clunking sound, pedals falling off, and faulty resistance systems.
- Light Flywheel: The 17-pound flywheel doesn’t provide enough resistance for some trainees.
- Short Warranty: The A17r has a below-average warranty. There’s lifetime protection on the frame and brake, and labor is free during the first year… but most parts are only covered for a year. Replacing the console could be expensive.
- Not for Tall Riders: Riders taller than 5’10” or so might feel cramped on this bike.
- Basic Display: The screen isn’t the best for viewing iFit. Other exercise bikes provide larger screens with full-color streaming views.
Video Review Features of the Epic A17r Recumbent Exercise Bike!
Who Should Ride the Epic A17r Recumbent Exercise Bike?
The Bottom Line
The Epic A17r Recumbent Exercise Bike is comfortable and has ample workout programming. It also has some of the extras that are found on club-quality bikes, such as speakers and a fan.
Even so, we’re cautious about recommending this product. Customer feedback suggests that it’s a risky investment; some fall apart pretty quickly. Better choices in residential recumbent bikes come from Sole Fitness and NordicTrack.