A Low-Impact Recumbent Cycle with 10 Preset Programs
The Horizon Comfort R recumbent bike is made for home use. It features a step-through frame, a cushioned seat with lumbar support, and quiet magnetic resistance. This bike has 10 preset workouts and 16 not-so-intense resistance levels.
The Horizon Comfort R Recumbent Bike is the only recumbent in Horizon’s Comfort series. Its pro-comfort features include a step-through frame, a cushioned seat with lumbar support, and a smooth magnetic resistance system. This bike’s 15.4-pound flywheel means that even at maximum power, it’s unlikely to cause muscle burn the following day.
The Horizon Comfort R exercise bike has 10 program modes, a wireless heart rate receiver and speakers for an MP3 player. It’s also equipped with features found on health club fitness machines: a reading rack and water bottle holder.
The Comfort R has a new low price of $719, but the parts warranty is only for a year. Here are lists of pros and cons to consider about buying this fitness machine.
- Free Shipping: Shipping with indoor delivery is included with the online sale price. The product typically arrives about a week after ordering.
- Adjustable Seat: The Horizon Comfort R has an adjustable seat to fit a wide range of riders. It has a high back that provides good lumbar support and lets air flow through to keep the rider cool. Handgrips are next to the seat to provide extra stability.
- Two Sets of Handlebars: The Comfort R has handlebars on the console and alongside the seat. This helps most people find a comfortable position and also helps with stability during rides and when getting on/off of the machine.
- Workout Programs: Ten workout programs are built into the bike. Besides manual mode and room for saving custom programs, the diverse options are Intervals, Game, Weight Loss, Rolling, Cadence, Random, Constant Watts and Target Heart Rate Zone.
- Heart Rate Monitors: This bike can track heart rate with a wireless receiver or contact grips. The wireless chest strap is not included.
- Console Data: Data shown are time, distance, calories, speed, RPM, resistance level, heart rate, calories and watts. The unique Cardio Compass Display shows heart rate on a circular graph to quickly convey exertion level.
- Smooth Resistance: A magnetic resistance system provides 16 tension levels. These are adjusted electronically. Because the changes are frictionless, the transitions feel smooth and the bike is able to run very quietly.
- Sturdy Frame: This bike has a steel frame that’s under lifetime residential warranty. The Comfort R’s maximum user weight capacity is 350 pounds.
- Extras: Extra features on this unit include MP3-compatible speakers, a reading rack and a bottle holder.
- Energy Saver Mode: The Horizon Comfort R runs off a 110-120 V circuit, but it will automatically reduce its power draw when not in use.
This bike isn’t perfect. Here are some potential drawbacks.
- Display: The display is easy to use, but it isn’t backlit. It might be difficult to see at night.
- Light Flywheel: The Horizon Comfort R has a 15.4-pound flywheel. That’s relatively light. A heavier wheel would produce an even smoother ride and allow for a greater challenge.
- Warranty: While the frame has a lifetime warranty, replacement parts and labor are only free during the first year of ownership. That’s a bit risky even with the $799 discount price.
Who Should Ride the Horizon Comfort R Recumbent Bike?
Horizon Fitness advertises this bike for people 4’10” to 6’2″, but customer reviews suggest that the Horizon Comfort R Recumbent Bike is best for riders about 5’2″ to 6’2″ tall.
The Bottom Line
The Horizon Comfort R Recumbent Bike offers a low-impact way to get aerobic exercise, tone the lower body and boost metabolic rate. We would recommend the Comfort R more enthusiastically if the parts warranty were longer.
Staying with this brand, the Horizon Elite R7 recumbent bike might be a better option. It costs more than the Comfort R but has a three-year parts warranty, a slightly heavier flywheel, 25 built-in workouts and optional interactive video workouts.
Horizon Comfort R Recumbent Bike Specs:
|Resistance:||16 Tension Levels|
|Weight Capacity:||350 LBS|
|Dimensions:||65" L x 26" W x 53" H|