A Low-Impact Stationary Cycle with Preset Programs
As its name suggests, the Horizon Comfort U is designed to be easy on the body. With this unique stationary bike, trainees who might normally choose a recumbent bike can comfortably get the more intense calorie-burning benefit of riding an upright cycle.
As an exceptionally comfy upright ride, the Horizon Comfort U Upright Stationary Bike occupies a unique niche in the fitness industry. Normally an upright bike could bring discomfort to certain trainees, but the Comfort U is especially designed for a great feel for sensitive riders 4’10” to 6’2″. People who might otherwise opt for a recumbent bike can get the more intense calorie-burning benefit of riding an upright cycle.
Some key features for comfort: The step-through frame is easier to access than a regular upright bike, the extra-wide gel seat is fully adjustable, and ergonomic grips help avoid strain on the wrists. Overall, with resistance coming from a 15.4-pound flywheel, even the most intense workouts can feel relatively low-stress.
The Horizon Comfort U stationary exercise bike also has wireless and contact heart rate monitoring, 10 program modes, and speakers for an MP3 player. Now it has a sale price of $619. Here are some pros and cons to consider about buying the product.
- Free Shipping: Shipping to the contiguous US is included in the sale price. Horizon provides indoor ground floor delivery, too. (Some other brands charge extra for inside delivery.)
- Adjustable Saddle: It’s all about comfort! The Horizon Comfort U has an oversized and gel-cushioned seat that’s vertically and horizontally adjustable. It is positioned differently than the saddles on most upright bikes, which makes this bike easier to access.
- Adjustable Handlebars: The Comfort U has adjustable handlebars with a flat bar style. (Other bikes have U-shaped bars, which might not be as comfortable.) Ergonomic grips on the Comfort U help riders avoid wrist strain.
- Programs: Workout programs are included to guide beginners and help anyone make the most of exercise sessions. Besides manual mode and room for saving custom programs, there are programs named: Intervals, Game, Weight Loss, Rolling, Cadence, Random, Constant Watts and Target Heart Rate Zone.
- Heart Rate Monitors: Two options are provided for heart rate monitoring. A wireless receiver can be used with a chest strap or wristwatch (not included). There’s also a thumb pulse reader. The pulse data can be used to control resistance in the Target Heart Rate Zone workout program.
- Console Data: Data shown are time, distance, calories, speed, RPM, resistance level, heart rate, calories and watts. A special readout is the Cardio Compass Display. It shows heart rate on a circular graph that indicates exertion level.
- Smooth Resistance: A magnetic resistance system provides 16 tension levels. These are adjusted electronically rather than manually, allowing for quick and precise control. Because the changes are frictionless, the transitions feel smooth and the bike is able to run very quietly.
- Steel Frame: This bike has a steel frame that’s under lifetime residential warranty. The maximum user weight is 300 pounds.
- Extras: Extra features include MP3-compatible speakers, a reading rack and a bottle holder.
- Energy Saver Mode: The Horizon Comfort U runs off a 110-120 V circuit, but it does have an energy saving mode. If you forget to unplug the unit, it can still reduce its power draw when not in use.
- High Capacity: The maximum user weight capacity is 300 pounds.
- Compact Size: This bike takes up little space. It’s 47″ long, 22″ wide and 53″ high.
- Display: The display is large and easy to use, but it isn’t backlit.
- Lighter Weight: This bike weighs 68 pounds. It is sturdy but logic suggests that it might wobble even when used by people under its weight limit.
- Light Flywheel: The Horizon Comfort U has a 15.4-pound flywheel. That’s relatively light, and it won’t reproduce the feel of riding an outdoor bicycle.
- Warranty: While the frame has a lifetime warranty, replacement parts and labor are only free during the first year of ownership. That’s a bit risky for the price; if the console were to stop working, for example, it could be expensive to replace.
Who Should Ride the Horizon Comfort U Upright Stationary Bike?
The Bottom Line
The unique Horizon Comfort U Upright Bike provides a more comfortable ride when compared with traditional upright bikes. This fitness machine offers a lower-stress way to get aerobic exercise, tone the lower body and boost metabolic rate.
We would recommend the Comfort U more enthusiastically if the parts warranty were longer. The Horizon Elite R7 recumbent bike might be a better option.
Horizon Comfort U Upright Bike Specs:
|Resistance:||16 Tension Levels|
|Weight Capacity:||300 LBS|
|Dimensions:||47" L x 22" W x 53" H|