A High Quality Recumbent Bike for More Relaxed Rides
The Matrix R30 is a high-end recumbent exercise bike for home use. Its innovative frame allows easy access and remarkable stability for riders up to 350 pounds, and a quiet magnetic resistance system offers 20 levels of challenge. The R30 can be paired with three well-designed Matrix training consoles.
The new Matrix R30 is a joint-friendly exercise bike for home use. Its recumbent frame has an easy-to-access “step-through” design, and the rider reclines into a comfortable high-backed bike seat. The R30 bike frame can be paired with various consoles, giving shoppers the options of streamlined electronics or training with extra workout programs, on-board social media apps, speakers and more. Details about the Matrix bike consoles are below.
This is the most affordable recumbent bike in the Matrix Fitness bike collection. It shares many specs with the top recumbent bike, the R50, which costs $300 more. The biggest differences are the seat backs and resistance systems… Both units provide good lumbar support, but the chair on the R50 is oversized for extra comfort. The Matrix R30 features a magnetic drive with 20 resistance levels, and the R50 has an induction brake with 30 resistance settings.
The Matrix R30 has a footprint of about 63″ x 26″. The bike weighs 155 pounds and has a 350-pound user weight capacity. Its impressive standard warranty includes lifetime frame protection, five years on the console and parts, and two years of labor.
Features of the Matrix R50 are detailed below.
- High Quality Frame: The Matrix R30 has a 155 pound (70 kg) steel frame that’s under lifetime warranty. Compact for a recumbent bike, it takes just 63″ x 25.6″ of floor space and is 48.4″ high. A step-through design (no bike bar in the way) makes Matrix recumbent bikes especially easy to mount/dismount.
- Magnetic Braking: The Matrix R30 features magnetic braking, which is the most common type used on high-end home exercise bikes. Compared with contact braking it’s much quieter and more durable. With the R30 a trainee can choose from 20 resistance levels and easily make digital adjustments. For comparison the Matrix R50 has an even more advanced induction brake system with 30 settings.
- Heart Rate Monitors: Matrix recumbent bikes support heart rate monitoring with two systems. Grip pulse sensors are built into the handlebars, and all three residential bike consoles have wireless receivers.
- Console Choice: Matrix home exercise bikes can be paired with XR, XER and XIR consoles. The default is the XR with an 8.5-inch LCD, five classic workout programs, wireless data logging, and Passport readiness for using interactive Virtual Active video with a home TV. With Virtual Active, you can virtually ride through popular destinations worldwide. As your speed changes, the footage adjusts accordingly… Next, the XER console is an upgrade with a 6” touch screen, ten standard workouts, built-in video tours, Passport readiness, and eight-week high intensity training programs. Additionally the XER console has apps for social media, Hulu, YouTube and more. Finally, the best Matrix bike console is the XIR. It has the same specs as the XER but a bigger 10” touch screen, a web browser and an extra workout program.
- Virtual Active: Simulated outdoor bike rides in scenic real-life destinations are available with all Matrix recumbent bikes. Virtual Active videos present high-definition views of beautiful locations on several continents. Three videos are built into the XER and XIR consoles for viewing on their built-in screens. Another viewing option any R30 bike console is watching Virtual Active on a home TV, which can be even more true-to-life. Using Virtual Active with a TV requires the separate purchase of a Passport Media Player.
- Sprint8: The Sprint8 training app is built into the XER and XIR Matrix recumbent bike consoles. Sprint8 provides eight-week high intensity interval training (HIIT) courses at personalized challenge levels. These workouts bring results very efficiently: Ride for just 20 minutes on alternating days to quickly trim fat, add lean muscle mass and improve your cardiovascular health.
- Mesh Seat: A Comfort Arc Seat with mesh back provides lumbar support with good airflow. This bike seat is better than what we see from other brands, plus it’s interchangeable with other seating for customization.
- Interchangeable Pedals: Pedals on Matrix recumbent bikes have straps for security and are self-balancing for easier access. They can be replaced with standard bike pedals.
- Data Tracking: For convenient data sharing with popular fitness apps and fitness devices, the Matrix R30 bike has ViaFit connectivity on all its consoles. Additionally the XER and XIR consoles have MyFitnessPal.
- Audio: Speakers are built into the XER and XIR consoles. Each of these consoles has a connection for an MP3 player. Additionally the XIR has an app called My Media.
- High Capacity: This stable bike has a 350 pound (159 kg) user weight capacity.
- Bottle Holder: Each Matrix residential console has a bottle holder.
- Compact: A big selling point for Matrix residential recumbent bikes is the small size. The R30 and R50 measure just 63″ long x 25.2″ wide x 47.2″ high (106 x 64 x 120 cm). Recumbent bikes are usually much longer.
- Warranty: The base price of $1,899 includes lifetime protection for the bike frame, five years for parts and any console, and two years for labor.
- No Cooling Fans: The Matrix consoles don’t include workout fans.
- Not Portable: This bike is compact, but it isn’t portable or foldable.
- Extra Expenses: Using a Matrix cardio trainer with all the trimmings involves spending more than the advertised price. The upgraded consoles costs extra, for example, and Passport Players are sold separately.
- Not Top Value: Compared with the R30, the Matrix R50 is the best value in this lineup. The R50 only costs another $300 but includes several upgrades such as advanced resistance and a longer warranty.
Who Should Ride the Matrix R30 Stationary Bike?
The Bottom Line
The new Matrix R30 is a top recumbent bike with starting price under $2,000. The components are high quality and the warranty is long. Still, the R50 is a better value because it can train you to a higher skill level, has an even longer warranty, and costs little more.
Matrix R30 Recumbent Bike Specs:
|Resistance:||Magnetic 1 - 20 Levels|
|Dimensions:||63" L x 25.2" W x 48.4" H|