Recumbent Bike Review: Great Back Support & Lots of Features
The Commercial VR25 Elite is favored by people seeking comfort, exercise guidance and the distraction of online entertainment. A web-enabled touchscreen, 25 pound flywheel, and iFit workouts are among its top features.
The NordicTrack Commercial VR25 Elite recumbent bike has been upgraded for 2015 and is NordicTrack’s top recumbent bike for home gyms. Its roomy seat with above-average back support is probably the most noticeable feature — and when you activate the console, you’ll see that it also has a 7″ web-enabled touchscreen and can stream full-color iFit workouts. There’s also a bracket for your tablet computer.
The VR25 Elite’s iFit wiring can deliver a new and customized workout to your console every day. Plus, 35 workout apps are built into the hard drive.
The official price for the Commercial VR25 Elite is $1599 but you can likely find a $999 sale price. That’s a pretty good deal for a NordicTrack with three-year warranty. Here are pros and cons list of buying the VR25 Elite exercise bike.
- Recumbent Frame: Kick back in comfort. Recumbent exercise bikes remove strain from your back by letting you recline. Your weight is distributed over a larger area compared with your position on a regular bike. Plus, like many recumbent bikes, the VR25 Elite’s frame has a patented Step Thru design to make it easy to mount and dismount. Handgrips are included for your stability.
- Seat with Lumbar Support: It’s like a chair! The NordicTrack VR25 Elite gets the brand’s fanciest seat. Excellent lumbar support is provided and the material is ventilated to help keep your back cool.
- 26 Resistance Levels: This unit provides a good range of challenge for beginners and mid-level athletes. The resistance is controlled digitally with quick-response One-Touch buttons.
- 35 Built-In Workouts: Get guidance from a certified personal trainer! Programs on the Commercial VR25 Elite were designed by an expert to help you burn calories, build endurance and improve your overall performance.
- iFit: An iFit subscription will run you another $99 or so per year. We think it’s worth the investment. For one thing, you’ll be able to virtually ride your bike anywhere worldwide with Google Street View! You’ll also get to download a new and personalized workout every day.
- Web-Enabled Touchscreen: The Commercial VR25 Elite makes it easy to surf the web while also keeping an eye on your workout data.
- Attach Your Tablet: So far, exercise bikes with browsers don’t let you download new apps. However, you can merge your favorite apps and other files with your workouts by adding your own tablet. A tablet bracket is placed at eye-level but doesn’t obscure your view of the workout screen.
- Extra-Wide Pedals: Extra width in the pedals means you’ll have room to reposition your feet during workouts. This can promote comfort and endurance.
- Wireless Heart Rate Monitoring: A Bluetooth heart rate monitoring system (strap included) makes it convenient to get a highly accurate and continuous readout. If you prefer though, you can use the grip system that’s built into the handlebars.
- Self-Adjusting Fan: Keep cool without the fuss of fiddling with controls. The NordicTrack VR25 Elite exercise bike has a “smart fan” that responds to your speed.
- Water Bottle Holder: It might be simple but it’s a much-appreciated extra. A convenient water bottle holder makes it more likely you’ll stay hydrated throughout your workout.
- Transport Wheels: Front-mounted wheels make it easy to move the VR25 from room to room or onto a moving van.
- High Capacity: The official user weight limit is 350 pounds.
- Size: This model doesn’t take up too much space. Its footprint is about 61″ x 23″.
- Warranty: The warranty is a good deal if you buy the NordicTrack Commercial VR25 Elite on sale. The package includes lifetime coverage for the frame and brake, three years on parts, and labor during the first year.
- 25-Pound Flywheel: A 25-pound flywheel isn’t bad. It is fine for this unit’s price category, but not what you might expect from a machine with “Commercial” in its name. A heavier flywheel would provide a bigger challenge and a smoother ride. The Sole LCR Light Commercial bike has a 30-pound flywheel.
Who Should Use The NordicTrack Commercial VR25 Recumbent Bike?
See The NordicTrack Commercial VR25 Recumbent Bike Promotional Video Below.
The Bottom Line
The combination of a tablet holder, web browser and touchscreen, 35 built-in programs and iFit makes this unit engaging for almost anyone. It has lots of bells and whistles and a pretty good warranty.
NordicTrack Commercial VR25 Elite Specs:
|Resistance:||26 Resistance Levels|
|Weight Capacity:||350 LBS|
|Dimensions:||61.2" L x 23" W x 68" H|