Stationary Bike with 19-Pound Flywheel, 28 Programs & iFit
NordicTrack’s GX 4.6 Pro has lots of flash but a relatively light drive. Its best features are a web- enabled touchscreen and iFit workouts that work with Google Maps. This trainer can be a great aid in weight loss and body sculpting.
The upright stationary NordicTrack GX 4.4 Pro is part of a series with the GX 4.6 Pro and GX 3.0 Indoor Sport Cycle. This entry-level unit has a simple workout screen but lets you add your tablet computer. Specs include a 19-pound flywheel, 28 preset workouts and iFit wiring.
The MSRP is $799 but the GX 4.4 Pro is often sold online for just $499. The purchase price includes a lifetime frame and brake warranty, two years of parts protection and free labor during the first year of ownership. There’s a 30-day money-back guarantee on NordicTrack exercise bikes as well, although customers still pay for shipping.
Here are pros and cons of buying the NordicTrack GX 4.4 Pro upright stationary exercise bike.
- Attach Your Tablet Computer: Instead of charging you for more electronics, here NordicTrack invites you to bring your own technology. The GX 4.4 Pro bike has a bracket for holding your tablet computer at eye-level. You can also see your workout data on the bike’s built-in screen; the tablet won’t obscure your view.
- 28 Built-In Workouts: This bike makes it easy to get customized training. Designed by a certified personal trainer, 28 built-in programs are designed for calorie burn, endurance and performance. These can be used at 22 resistance levels.
- iFit: Are 28 routines not enough? Get unlimited workout routines and lots more! An iFit subscription, which costs about $10/month or less, takes the GX 4.4 stationary bike online. With iFit you can virtually ride the Gx 4.4 anywhere mapped by Google Maps! You’ll also get unlimited stationary bike workouts; you can download a new personalized iFit workout every day and virtually work out with a celebrity personal trainer. iFit is offered on NordicTrack bikes, ProForm bikes and other exercise machines from the ICON parent company.
- Extra-Wide Pedals: Pedal width contributes to a bike’s ergonomics. Extra width lets you reposition your feet for better comfort and consequently better endurance. Straps for your shoes are included.
- Wireless Heart Rate Monitoring: A Bluetooth receiver helps you monitor your pulse and exercise at the most efficient exertion level. The wireless chest strap is sold separately, but there’s also a grip pulse monitoring system built into the bike’s handlebars.
- Self-Adjusting Fan: Not too hot, not too chilly. Regulate your temperature with the GX 4.4 Pro’s AutoBreeze fan. It can automatically adjust in response to your speed or be set to your chosen level.
- Water Bottle Holder: It’s a nice touch. A water bottle holder is conveniently built into the console.
- Transport Wheels: Wheels up front make the GX 4.4 Pro bike easy to move from room to room.
- High Capacity: The user weight limit is 300 pounds.
- Size: NordicTrack exercise bikes don’t take up too much space. The footprint on the GX 4.4 Pro measures 60″ x 24.8″.
- Warranty: The warranty works out to a good deal with the bike’s $499 sale price. The warranty includes lifetime coverage for the upright stationary frame and brake, two years for parts and one year of labor.
- Workout Screen: Programming is shown on old technology, a simple LED. However, you can add your tablet computer to make things modern.
- 19-Pound Flywheel: A 19-pound flywheel is rather light. A heavier flywheel can support more challenging workouts and make a stationary bike feel more like a “real” bike. However, it would also add significantly to the price.
- 22 Resistance Levels: With just a 19-pound flywheel, this exercise bike provides a relatively narrow range of resistance.
Who Should Use The NordicTrack GX 4.4 Pro Upright Stationary Bike?
The Bottom Line
The GX 4.4 Pro has a good specs list for an entry-level exercise bike. It especially stands out for its program variety, which includes 28 built-in programs and iFit. With the addition of a tablet computer and wireless chest strap, it would satisfy many first-time exercise bike owners.
Given the 19-pound flywheel, the NordicTrack GX 4.4 Pro isn’t meant for elite training. If you’re seeking an upright stationary bike with higher challenge levels and a more realistic street bike feel from NordicTrack, then check out the NordicTrack GX 3.0 Indoor Sport Cycle with a 44-pound flywheel or see our continuously updated best exercise bikes picks page.
NordicTrack GX 4.4 Pro Specs:
|Resistance:||22 Resistance Levels|
|Weight Capacity:||300 LBS|
|Dimensions:||60" L x 24.8" W x 41.25" H|