A Home Exercise Bike with Web, iFit & 18-Pound Drive
The web-enabled ProForm 14.0 EX Upright Bike is very strong on programming and entertainment, but less impressive in terms of power. It appeals to people seeking light resistance for calorie burn and cardiovascular health.
Offering light resistance and plenty of workout guidance, the ProForm 14.0 EX Upright Stationary Bike is an easy-to-use trainer for calorie burn and cardiovascular exercise. Its 32 workout apps help take the guesswork out of exercise — and by activating iFit, you can download a new customized workout anytime! This bike has a web-enabled touchscreen too. It now sells for $799 (down from $999) with a three-year parts warranty.
iFit online training is a big selling point for ProForm exercise bikes — and the better technology you use, the better your iFit experience. This bike’s 7″ web-enabled touchscreen makes it easy to make the most of iFit’s video workouts, Google Maps workouts, online races and other features.
Other key specs for the ProForm 14.0 EX bike are an 18-pound flywheel and a wireless heart rate receiver. Is this the best exercise bike for you? Here are lists of “The Great” and “The Not-So-Great” features.
- Touchscreen with Web: The 7″ touchscreen appeals to lots of shoppers. It’s web-enabled to let you watch video and read online content, plus it works beautifully with iFit. This is a perfect way to stream Google Maps workouts and virtually experience the destination.
- Built-In Programs: ProForm bikes generally provide lots of workout guidance. The 14.0 EX bike has 32 preset workouts designed with certified personal trainers. These workouts are for calorie burn and performance.
- iFit: An iFit membership (good for four people) makes the most of this exercise bike. iFit uses your home Internet connection to provide immersive workout experiences with interactive video, daily downloads, data tracking and more!
- Data: The data screen shows time, distance, calories, speed, resistance and heart rate simultaneously. The information is easy to read and doesn’t look cluttered.
- Quiet Resistance: Designed for home use, the 14.0 EX uses ProForm’s patented Silent Magnetic Resistance system.
- Extra-Wide Pedals: The pedals aren’t quite like those on an outdoor bicycle. They’re extra-wide and have straps to increase your stability.
- Heart Rate Monitoring: With Bluetooth compatibility, this bike can wirelessly track your heart rate throughout each workout session. It’s also equipped with grip pulse readers on the handlebars.
- Adjustable: The ProForm 14.0 EX has an adjustable saddle to fit riders of different heights. The console can be tilted too.
- Audio: Add your iPod! This bike has an Intermix Acoustics 2.0 Sound System (a set of 2″ speakers on the console). There’s also a port for charging mobile devices.
- Water Bottle Holder: A water bottle holder is included.
- High Capacity: The maximum user weight capacity is 300 pounds.
- Compact Size: The ProForm 14.0 EX bike measures just 3′ 6″ long x 1′ 11″ wide.
Why wouldn’t you choose the ProForm 14.0 EX? Here are some possible drawbacks.
Flywheel Weight: The 18-pound flywheel is effective for cardio training and boosting your metabolic rate. It will not, however, challenge elite athletes or support bulking up. This bike has 26 levels of resistance without a great difference being felt from setting to setting. Some riders like this and others do not.
Not High-End: This bike isn’t extremely well made. Sometimes the parts don’t align correctly so customers return it, drill a new hole or order replacement parts. Most owners occasionally need to tighten the bolts and make other adjustments too. ProForm’s manual for the 14.0 EX includes do-it-yourself repair info for a few potential problems.
Who Should Choose the ProForm 14.0 EX Upright Stationary Bike?
The Bottom Line
The ProForm 14.0 EX Upright Stationary Bike offers lots of workout variety, and its web-enabled touchscreen is very appealing! However, we wouldn’t choose it with long-term plans in mind. First, some riders will outgrow the bike’s challenge level within a year or two. Second, the 14.0 EX is less durable than others in its price class and will likely require regular maintenance to run as advertised.
ProForm 14.0 EX Upright Bike Specs:
|Weight Capacity:||300 LBS|
|Dimensions:||61.5" L x 23" W x 42" H|