An iFit-Compatible Recumbent Bike with 32 Built-In Workouts
The ProForm 440 ES has light resistance and a comfortable slung-back design. It is best for physical therapy and other low-impact exercise. This home fitness machine is designed for people who appreciate lots of workout programming and don’t want a heavy flywheel.
Leading the pack in comfort, the recumbent ProForm 440 ES Recumbent Bike is a popular choice for low-stress weight loss, muscle toning and cardiovascular training at home. This bike may also be approved for physical therapy. Its key specs are chair-like seat with great lumbar support, an 18-pound flywheel, 32 built-in workouts, and a potentially unlimited workout library. (The infinite workouts option becomes realized when iFit is activated for $9.99/month or $99/year.)
The default for showing data is a 5″ LED display. It has blue backlighting and is pleasant enough — but this bike is best when you add your own tablet computer. The tablet can of course play any apps during exercise, but the iFit app is especially cool with this bike. As you pedal, you can see the Google Street View of your chosen route.
The MSRP is $799 but ProForm now sells the 440 ES for just $599. That includes shipping, a lifetime frame warranty, two years of parts protection and a one-year labor warranty. Is it the best exercise bike for you? Here are pros and cons of buying the ProForm 440 ES recumbent exercise bike.
- Recumbent Frame: This bike is designed to support effective cardio training with relatively low stress on the back, joints and feet. Unlike an upright stationary bike, it lets the rider lean back and keep their legs out front. The effect is a cycling motion that requires less pressure from above. Plus, the ProForm 440 ES Recumbent Bike and other stationary recumbent bikes are relatively easy to mount and dismount; there’s a step-through design (no bar in your way). Handlebars are provided for extra stability.
- Seat with Lumbar Support: The 440 ES supports your lower back with a ventilated seat. The chair-like bike saddle is cushioned just right for comfort and exercise. It can be adjusted vertically and horizontally to suit a wide range of trainees.
- 25 Resistance Levels: This bike provides a good range of resistance levels for physical therapy, keeping muscles toned, and revving up the metabolism. Changes are made digitally with console buttons.
- 32 Built-In Workouts: Enjoy the guidance of a certified personal trainer! The 32 programs take the guesswork out of exercise sessions. Choose from programs focused on calorie burn, endurance and speedy performance.
- Attach Your Tablet Computer: Use your favorite apps and files during workouts by adding your tablet computer to the 440 ES recumbent bike console. The tablet is held at eye-level without obscuring your view of workout data.
- iFit: An iFit subscription makes the most of this bike. With iFit you can virtually ride your 440 ES anywhere mapped by Google! Sync the machine with your tablet computer to get a streaming view. iFit also offers personalized nutrition advice, customized workout downloads, fitness tracking and other benefits.
- Extra-Wide Pedals: Extra-wide pedals let you reposition your feet during workouts. This can help you endure for longer. Straps are included for extra stability too.
- Heart Rate Monitoring: A wireless heart rate receiver makes it easier to exercise in the right zone. The required chest strap is sold separately. You can also use the grip pulse reader built into the bike’s handlebars.
- Workout Fan: Catch the perfect breeze. A CoolAire workout fan has two speed settings and convenient console controls.
- Water Bottle Holder: Hydration is made easy with a convenient water bottle holder on the bike frame.
- Transport Wheels: Easily move the ProForm 440 ES from room to room. Wheels are mounted to the front.
- Size: This bike doesn’t take up too much space; it’s less than 5 feet long and 2 feet wide.
- Warranty: The warranty is fair if you only spend $599 and not full price for this bike. It includes lifetime coverage for the recumbent frame and brake, two years for parts and one year of labor.
- 18-Pound Flywheel: An 18-pound flywheel is light. It helps explain the low price of this trainer. Heavier flywheels provide smoother rides and can support more intense workouts. With the ProForm 440 ES Recumbent Bike you’re especially paying for the built-in programs and iFit, not a heavy drive.
- Customer Service: Customer service from this brand isn’t necessarily leading the industry.
WHO SHOULD USE THE ProForm 440 ES RECUMBENT BIKE?
The Bottom Line
The combination of a new low price, a tablet computer holder, potentially endless programs, and wireless heart rate monitoring makes this bike darn appealing! It’s a great choice for low-intensity exercise and should deliver plenty of workouts before it considers acting up. But with only an 18-pound flywheel the ProForm 440 ES may disappoint trainees seeking serious power.
ProForm 440 ES Recumbent Bike Specs:
|Weight Capacity:||250 LBS|
|Dimensions:||77" L x 20.5" W x 38" H|