Recumbent Bike Training with Elliptical Fitness
The ProForm Hybrid Trainer is an entry-level fitness machine for the whole body. Lower body workouts can be completed in a seated position with lumbar support, or you can stand up for elliptical training. The Hybrid Trainer has a new low price of $349.
The ProForm Hybrid Trainer is an entry-level fitness machine for the whole body. Bike workouts can be completed in a semi-reclined position with good lumbar support, or you can stand up for elliptical training. The console adjusts for each purpose.
The ProForm Hybrid Trainer works the arms, legs and core muscles without delivering a harsh impact to the body. For all fitness levels, it can support efficient cardio workouts when used at 70% to 85% of the trainee’s maximum heart rate. The advanced console offers an integrated tablet holder and access to iFit for advanced workouts. Overall this unique trainer is designed for people aiming to raise metabolism, tone their muscles and get cardiovascular exercise.
The online sale price of $399 is a good fit for this product. The original price of $799 is too high; this fitness machine requires too much DIY maintenance. Part by part, here’s a review of the ProForm Hybrid Trainer.
- Efficient Full-Body Design: The two-in-one aspect of this fitness machine is a big selling point. It can tone the arms, legs and core but takes just over 5 feet x 2 feet of floor space.
- iFit Bluetooth Smart Enabled Console: This is a brand new feature on the 2016 model. If users have an iFit subscription, they can access a workout library with unlimited workouts, as well as exclusive workouts create by TV trainers Chris and Heidi Powell.
- Integrated Tablet Holder: An extra-wide integrated tablet holder keeps your device safely in place so that you can easily stream music and access social media or other fitness apps while working out.
- Preset Workouts: Sixteen preset workouts help riders work for speed goals and calorie burn.
- Workout Data: A battery-powered monitor gives feedback about time and speed, and the new watts power meter is a built in meter so you know your pacing.
- Comfortable Seat: This hybrid trainer features a comfortable, adjustable seat with a ventilated back for cycling. There are side handlebars for extra stability.
- Oversized Pedals: The pedals are both adjustable and cushioned for extra comfort and personalization.
- Audio: Bring your favorite tunes along for the ride! The ProForm Hybrid Trainer has an iPod-compatible port and an Intermix Acoustics 2.0 speaker system.
- Water Bottle Holder: A drink holder is bolted to the elliptical frame to help you keep hydrated.
- Quiet Operation: Magnetic resistance on the ProForm Hybrid Trainer brings quiet operation for the recumbent bike and elliptical exercise.
- Transport Wheels: This trainer has small wheels affixed to the frame for easy transport.
- No Electrical Outlet Required: The data console is battery powered, so there’s no cord. It’s convenient to place anywhere in your home.
- Weight Capacity: The maximum user weight capacity is 350 pounds.
This total body trainer isn’t high-end and has potential drawbacks. Keep these factors in mind.
- Assembly: This machine gets awful customer reviews for assembly time. A typical amount of time is two to four hours.
- Light Flywheel: While the updated 2016 model has a slightly heavier flywheel weight of 13 pounds, as compared to 12.5 pounds, it’s one of the lightest in the industry. A heavier flywheel would produce smoother motion.
- Heart Rate Monitor: A contact heart rate monitor is built into the unit. However, it isn’t comparable to medical-grade pulse monitors and might not be useful.
- Defective Units: ProForm isn’t exactly the Cadillac of the fitness industry. Some customers receive useful products and others don’t. It’s not uncommon for customer reviews of the ProForm Hybrid Trainer to mention that parts were missing or broken at delivery time. Also, it can take awhile to get replacement parts.
- Short Stride: The stride length is 15″. Taller people would especially appreciate a stride of 18″or 20″ to feel as if they are running.
- Short Warranty: New owners get five years of frame protection but just 90 days of parts protection.
Who Should Ride the ProForm Hybrid Trainer?
The ProForm Hybrid Trainer is used by people with physical limitations and people in better condition. Its top resistance level isn’t very strong but is effective for calorie burn, cardio training and muscle toning.
The Hybrid Trainer can be used by a wide range of people in terms of height, but it’s most comfortable for shorter and medium-height trainees. It has a maximum weight capacity of 350 pounds.
The Bottom Line
The ProForm Hybrid Trainer offers low-stress aerobic training and muscle toning for the whole body. This two-in-one fitness machine has a very low price but requires more maintenance than most exercise bikes in our reviews. There’s a not-so-wild chance that you’ll get a machine with troubles… yet when it works, it’s pretty nice! Want to take a gamble? The Hybrid Trainer now sells for $349.
There’s not much competition for this unique sort of product. An even cheaper and simpler option is the Stamina Pro InStride Total Body Cycle, which has you bring your own chair. A high-end version is the Naples hybrid fitness machine by Yowza.
ProForm Hybrid Trainer Specs:
|Resistance:||16 Digital Levels|
|Weight Capacity:||350 LBS|
|Dimensions:||60.5" L x 24.5" W x 70.5" H|