A Basic Stationary Bike with Workouts, Data Screen & Speakers
The Schwinn 125 Upright Exercise Bike is a very low-priced stationary bike for home gyms. While it’s an entry-level trainer, it offers some workout guidance and has speakers for an MP3 player. The Schwinn 125 has 16 resistance levels for workouts of light to moderate intensity.
The Schwinn 125 Upright Stationary Bike is feature-rich for its price. Selling for less than $299, it has eight workout modes, 16 resistance levels and a hookup for MP3 players. This bike can be a good starting point for cardio training, weight loss and toning the lower body.
Schwinn sells this bike through a variety of vendors such as Target and Kohl’s. When you visit Schwinn’s website you can quickly find options in your city or ZIP code. Here are some pros and cons about making this purchase.
- Easy Assembly: This bike is relatively easy to assemble. There aren’t many components and the manual is clear. Basic tools are provided. A box cutter or scissors can speed up the process too.
- Preset Workouts: The Schwinn 125 has preset workout routines that can be used with 16 resistance levels. The workout modes include six course profiles, a custom workout, quick start and cool down.
- Data on Console: A small data screen shows time, interval time, RPM, distance in miles or kilometers, speed, pulse and calories along with the course profile and resistance level. The pulse data come from a grip monitor.
- Ergonomic Pedals: Schwinn doesn’t go into details, but it advertises its pedals as being ergonomic.
- Magnetic Resistance: Schwinn 125 upright exercise bikes use magnetic resistance. This frictionless system helps provide a smooth and quiet ride. Plus, although the flywheel is rather light, it is weighted to help replicate the sense of riding a street bike. Still, the resistance is light and exercise is low intensity compared with outdoor bikes.
- Adjustable: The Schwinn 125 Upright Bike has an adjustable seat and adjustable handlebars.
- Water Bottle Holder: A water bottle holder is attached to the machine, right beneath the console.
- More Extras: The Schwinn 125 has a workout fan, an MP3 input port and speakers, and holders for magazines, e-books or other media.
- High Capacity: The advertised maximum user weight capacity is 275 pounds (125 kilograms).
- Small Footprint: This bike is one of the smallest we’ve reviewed. Its footprint measures 32″ x 20″. It won’t take much space and is easy to move too.
- Transport Wheels: Wheels are attached to the bike for easy transport. Also, rear stabilizers help keep the bike level.
This affordable exercise bike is effective but wouldn’t be mistaken for a commercial fitness machine. Plus, these exercise bikes are made in China; they’re not associated with the high quality engineering of Schwinn’s famous road bikes. Here are some potential drawbacks of choosing the Schwinn 125 bike.
- Packaging: The packaging for Schwinn exercise bikes isn’t always adequate. More so than with most other brands, customer reviews report that bikes get damaged during shipment.
- Grip Heart Rate Receiver: Grip heart rate receivers are built into the Schwinn 125 Upright Bike handlebars. These are useful in theory but grip receivers generally don’t work as well as wireless receivers. A wireless receiver is included on some other upright bikes by this brand, such as the Schwinn 170.
- Not Backlit: The console display isn’t backlit. It’s not as easy to read as some others.
- Lackluster Warranty: The Schwinn 125 Upright Bike has a very low price, but still a longer warranty seems appropriate. The buyer gets a five-year warranty for the frame, a year for mechanical and electrical parts, and free labor during the first 90 days. The “wear parts” are only covered for 90 days.
Who Should Ride the Schwinn 125 Upright Exercise Bike?
The Bottom Line
The Schwinn 125 Upright Stationary Bike is a very low-priced stationary bike. While it’s definitely a basic trainer, it has some useful and convenient extras. This product doesn’t have a great warranty but generally has satisfied customers.
Schwinn 125 Upright Bike Specs:
|Flywheel:||Inertia Perimeter Weighted Flywheel|
|Weight Capacity:||275 LBS|
|Dimensions:||32" L x 20" W x n/a" H|