An Indoor Bike with 29 Preset Workouts & Heart Rate Control
The Schwinn 170 Upright Bike offers effective workouts to beginners and advanced athletes. It includes plenty of exercise guidance, 25 resistance levels, and more heart rate programs than we see on most fitness machines. This bike is an affordable choice for residential use.
The Schwinn 170 Upright Stationary Exercise Bike is among Schwinn’s top upright bikes for indoors. Loaded with preset workouts and online data tracking, it’s ready to support a customized fitness regime. Highlights include 29 preset programs — including nine heart rate programs — and an online goal tracker. Smooth and challenging resistance is provided by a high speed, high inertia flywheel.
With an online discount the Schwinn 170 Upright Stationary Exercise Bike sells for just $399 through Schwinn and the Bowflex catalog. The regular price is $699. Here are some pros and cons about the purchase.
- Preset Workouts: The Schwinn 170 is loaded with 29 workout routines and supports 25 resistance levels. Nine of the preset programs are controlled by heart rate, allowing for very efficient workouts. Programs for beginners and advanced trainees are included.
- Online Services: Riders can connect the bike to My Fitness Pal and Schwinn apps for advanced data tracking online. Data are saved from the bike console to a USB drive.
- Power for Devices: The USB port can be used to charge phones and other devices.
- Data on Console: The console screen is basic (it isn’t extra-wide, a touch screen or high-def) but it provides 13 types of data. Many bikes provide far less information about workouts. There are four user profiles, and each user can choose from the English or Metric systems.
- Adjustable Console: The console and its attached forearm rests can be adjusted for a personalized ergonomic fit.
- Adjustable Cushioned Seat: The Schwinn 170 Upright Bike’s oversized saddle is adjustable and well-cushioned for comfort. If a rider doesn’t like it though, they can exchange the seat with any standard bicycle seat.
- Good Pedals: The pedals are oversized for comfort and have adjustable straps. Their three-piece design allows for customization; owners can switch out the pedals for SPD compatible pedals or any standard road bike pedals.
- Heart Rate Receiver: A wireless heart rate receiver is included. Chest straps are sold separately.
- Speakers: Attach your MP3 player! The Schwinn 170 has integrated speakers.
- Water Bottle Holder: Staying hydrated is convenient with the bike’s handy bottle holder.
- Workout Fan: Keep cool with the built-in workout fan. Choose from three speeds.
- Quiet Operation: Schwinn 170 stationary exercise bikes have balanced drives that operate quietly. When the bikes transition between resistance levels, the adjustments are barely audible.
- Transport Wheels: Wheels are mounted to the 170 Upright Bike for easy transport.
- Small Footprint: This machine doesn’t require much space. Its footprint measures about 41″ x 21″.
- Easy Assembly: Customers report that the Schwinn 170 is straightforward to assemble.
- Good Warranty: The Schwinn 170 Upright Bike has an OK warranty for the bike’s $399 sale price. The buyer gets 10 years for the frame, two years for parts, one year for electrical, and free labor during the first 90 days. (The labor warranty is rather short, but again, the bike’s price is low.)
Why wouldn’t you choose this stationary bike? The vast majority of customer reviews of the Schwinn 170 Upright Bike are positive. In the minority of negative reviews, most often the customers received defective components. Sometimes this happened because the shipping service was not careful. After that, getting replacements could be a headache. To minimize the chance of getting a damaged bike, it seems best to purchase this machine through the Schwinn website.
Who Should Ride the Schwinn 170 Upright Stationary Exercise Bike?
The Bottom Line
The Schwinn 170 Upright Stationary Exercise Bike is a low-priced indoor stationary bike with ample programming and some extras such as speakers, a beverage holder and a workout fan. A small percentage of customers have complained about poor quality control or damage during shipment, but overall the buyers are pleased. This bike’s above-average track record and low price make it a popular option for home gyms.
Schwinn 170 Upright Exercise Bike Specs:
|Flywheel:||High Inertia Flywheel|
|Dimensions:||41" L x 21" W x n/a" H|