A Low-Impact Exercise Bike with 13-Pound Drive
The Schwinn 230 is a discount recumbent bike with lots of features: 22 preset workout programs, heart rate control, speakers and more. This bike’s flywheel weighs about 13 pounds, which is rather light for most trainees.
The Schwinn 230 is among Schwinn’s most feature-rich recumbent exercise bikes. It’s very affordable yet has 22 preset workout programs, heart rate control, speakers and more. Its adjustability and two user profiles help make the Schwinn 230 a choice for many home gyms.
This bike’s flywheel weighs about 13 pounds. The wheel provides enough weight for cardiovascular workouts and keeping your muscles toned, but it isn’t especially heavy. It’s the same component used on the cheaper Schwinn 220 bike.
This recumbent trainer is officially priced at $699 but sells online for less than $399. Is it the right bike for you? Here are some pros and cons.
- Walk-Through Design: Like other recumbent bikes, the Schwinn 230 is easy to access. There’s no bar impeding your way to the chair, and the bike is lower to the ground than upright bikes are.
- Sturdy: This machine isn’t very heavy; the Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike weighs just 82 pounds. Even so, it has a 300-pound capacity. The frame has a center support for added stability.
- Built-In Fitness Programs: Lots of training support is offered through 22 program modes. There are nine profile workouts and eight heart rate control workouts (beginner and advanced). Additionally, trainees can save two programs, take two fitness tests and use manual mode.
- USB Data Transfer: The Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike supports advanced fitness tracking. It has a USB drive for storing data, which can be uploaded to the Schwinn Connect website. It’s also compatible with MyFitnessPal.
- Two User Profiles: With two user profiles, this bike is even more convenient to share. Each user can save workout information, custom programs and personal data. The bike is easy to adjust for different rider heights too.
- Resistance: Quiet eddy current brake resistance is used. It’s divided into 20 levels.
- Heart Rate Monitor: The Schwinn 230 has a grip heart rate monitor. We’re not wild about these, but they can be better than nothing.
- Sound System: Hook up your MP3 player and stream songs through the bike console.
- More Extras: This bike has a water bottle holder, a three-speed fan (which can also be turned off), a USB charging port and a media tray.
- High Capacity: The maximum user weight capacity is 300 pounds (136 kilograms).
The Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike gets mostly positive customer reviews from people expecting light workouts. Some people are disappointed because the user manual is unclear; they need to download or order an additional guide to figure out the console programming. Here are some other possible drawbacks.
- Light Flywheel: The flywheel weighs about 13 pounds. Many riders would prefer a heavier flywheel for stronger resistance and a smoother riding experience.
- Seating: Seating is one of the most important parts on a recumbent bike, and riders complain that here it’s uncomfortable. Adding a cushion could make a big difference… but the seat could be wobbly too despite whatever bolt tightening you try.
- Not for Tall People: Taller people cannot extend their legs far enough with this bike.
- Weak Packaging: Schwinn exercise bikes could use heavier packaging. Sometimes the components arrive dented.
- Manual Monitor Not Good: The manual pulse monitor does not always work accurately.
- Warranty: The warranty isn’t very generous, although it’s not horrible if you get this bike on sale. Customers get two years of protection on mechanical parts and one year on electronics. The frame has a lifetime guarantee. Labor is free for the first 90 days.
Who Should Ride the Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike?
The Bottom Line
The Schwinn 230 Bike offers lots of programming but is light on power. Purchased for $399 or less, it could be a good deal… but we aren’t so enthusiastic. We would prefer a bike with more durability and a heavier flywheel; the 230 could get outgrown rather quickly or break down before you’ve mastered its highest resistance level.
The Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike is a step up and doesn’t cost much more. We also recommend reading our honest reviews of recumbent bikes by Sole, Vision and other more reputable exercise bike brands.
Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike Specs:
|Weight Capacity:||300 LBS|
|Dimensions:||12.5" L x 66.5" W x 27" H|