A Low-Impact Exercise Bike with 13-Pound Drive
The Schwinn 250 Recumbent Bike helps people pedal in comfort without much back strain. Ideal for beginners, this bike includes standard workouts, heart rate control workouts and fitness tests. Data can be uploaded to Schwinn Connect for advanced tracking.
The sturdy and affordable Schwinn 250 Recumbent Bike helps people pedal in comfort without much back strain. Its multicolor console holds 8 profile programs, two heart rate control workouts and fitness tests. It also supports advanced data management with a USB connection.
Overall there’s a lot here to help a beginner start with cardio training and boosting the metabolism.
The Schwinn 250 is officially priced at $699 but sells online for less than $399. Is it the right bike for you? Here are some pros and cons.
- Walk-Through Design: Like other recumbent exercise bikes, the Schwinn 250 is easy to access. There’s no bar impeding your way to the seat, and the bike is lower to the ground than upright stationary bikes are.
- Sturdy: This machine weighs a respectable 117 pounds and has a 300-pound user weight capacity. The frame has rear levelers for added stability.
- Built-In Fitness Programs: Sixteen program modes offer lots of training support. There are profile workouts, distance goals, fitness tests and room to save two custom workouts.
- USB Data Transfer: The Schwinn 250 Recumbent Bike supports advanced fitness tracking, which is unusual for an exercise bike in this price range. It has a USB drive for storing data, which can be uploaded to the Schwinn Connect website. It’s also compatible with MyFitnessPal.
- Two User Profiles: Two users can save workout information, custom programs and personal data to make the calorie burn estimate more accurate.
- Resistance: Quiet magnetic resistance is used. It’s divided into 16 levels.
- Heart Rate Monitors: The Schwinn 250 has a grip heart rate monitor to help estimate your exertion level. This isn’t exactly medically accurate, but there’s also a Polar wireless receiver. Chest straps are sold separately.
- Sound System: Hook up your MP3 player! This exercise bike has an iPod-compatible media port with speakers.
- More Extras: The Schwinn 250 has a water bottle holder, a fan, a USB charging port and a media tray.
- High Capacity: The maximum user weight capacity is 300 pounds (136 kilograms).
The Schwinn 250 Recumbent Bike gets mostly positive customer reviews from people expecting low-impact workouts. Still, quality control deserves some criticism. About 10% of customer reviews are negative. Here are some possible drawbacks.
- Light Flywheel: The flywheel weighs about 13 pounds. Many riders would prefer a heavier flywheel for stronger resistance and a smoother riding experience.
- Maintenance Required: The manual for the Schwinn 250 Recumbent Bike tells owners to lubricate the machine weekly with a silicone-based product. More expensive recumbent bikes require virtually no maintenance.
- Seating: Seating is one of the most important parts on a recumbent bike, and riders complain that the seat on the Schwinn 250 is uncomfortable. Adding a cushion could make a big difference… but the seat could also be wobbly too despite whatever bolt tightening you try.
- Not for Tall People: Taller people cannot extend their legs far enough with this bike. If your inseam is longer than 34″, or you’re about 6′ or taller, it could be uncomfortable.
- Weak Packaging: Judging from customer reviews, Schwinn should use heavier packaging. Sometimes the components arrive damaged.
- Warranty: The warranty isn’t so generous. Customers get a year of protection on mechanical parts and electronics. The frame has a five-year guarantee. Labor is free for the first 90 days.
Who Should Ride the Schwinn 250 Recumbent Bike?
The Bottom Line
The Schwinn 250 Bike gives plenty of programming but is light on resistance. Purchased for $399 or less, it could be a good deal… but we would prefer a bike with a heavier flywheel. Some people will quickly outgrow this machine and wish they’d gotten something more powerful.
The Schwinn 270 is a step up and doesn’t cost much more. We also recommend reading our honest reviews of recumbent bikes by Sole, Vision and other reputable exercise bike brands.
Schwinn 250 Recumbent Bike Specs:
|Weight Capacity:||300 LBS|
|Dimensions:||63" L x 25" W x 46" H|