A Low-Stress Fitness Machine for Rehab & Light Cardio
The Schwinn A20 is a recumbent bike offering rather light resistance and six preset workouts. It is one of the lowest-priced products on our bike review website. This exercise bike isn't perfect but is generally considered a very good value.
The gray and black Schwinn A20 lets you recline during workouts. It provides back support and is especially easy on your knees and other joints. Unlike many other recumbent bikes, it can be adjusted to fit an adult of almost any height.
The Schwinn A20 Recumbent Bike is suitable for rehab, weight loss, cardiovascular exercise and toning the leg muscles. This home fitness machine is meant for low-impact workouts and does not offer a great deal of power. There are eight levels of resistance.
Preset workouts are rare on budget bikes, but this model has six workout programs plus manual mode (Quick Start). A simple screen shows feedback labeled results, speed, RPM, resistance, time, distance, calories and heart rate.
This recumbent trainer originally sold for $299, but it regularly sells online for $249. Is it the best recumbent bike for you? Feature by feature, here we look at some pros and cons of choosing this model.
Walk-Through Design: Like other recumbent bikes, the A20 has a walk-through design. In other words, there isn’t a bar in the way as with upright stationary bikes and road bikes. This makes it safer and more convenient for people with physical limitations.
- Stable Frame: This bike weighs just 60 pounds, but its long and low design gives a 275-pound user weight capacity.
- Built-In Fitness Programs: There are six workout profiles and a quick-start manual mode. There’s guidance for calorie burn, distance and time goals.
- Heart Rate Monitoring: The Schwinn A20 has a contact heart rate monitor built into the console. Wireless monitors are more accurate, but this is sort of impressive considering how inexpensive the bike is.
- Quiet: This bike provides eight levels of smooth magnetic resistance. Most riders report that it runs quietly.
- Extras: The A20 has an integrated water bottle holder, a media tray and a sound system; a small speaker set for an MP3 player is built into the console.
- High Capacity: The maximum user weight capacity is 275 pounds (125 kilograms).
- Low Price: The low price is hard to beat! For people seeking low-intensity workouts, this bike can offer a lot of training for the price.
The Schwinn A20 is very basic and only supports low-intensity exercise. It is made in China, which some shoppers are surprised to learn given that Schwinn has made-in-America products too. About 75% of reviewers are satisfied. Here are some potential drawbacks.
- Short Power Cord: This bike can be used with batteries, but you might not want to switch out batteries a lot. The adaptor for this bike (sold separately) has a short cord that limits your placement options.
- Imperfect Parts: In a few reviews of the Schwinn A20 bike, customers have written that the pedals are faulty. In some cases the threads quickly wear thin and pedals won’t stay attached. Some other parts have inspired complaints here and there too.
- Console: The console’s LCD is very simple. Its technology was common a long time ago. More expensive recumbent bikes have full-color monitors, touch-screens and are even web-enabled.
- Warranty: The Schwinn A20 has a not-so-hot residential warranty. It provides three years of coverage for the frame, one year for mechanical parts and electronics, 60 days for wear parts, and free labor during the first 60 days only. Granted, the bike doesn’t cost much either…. If you buy it, be sure to unpack it ASAP in case you need replacement parts.
Who Should Ride the Schwinn A20 Recumbent Bike?
The Bottom Line
The Schwinn A20 Bike supports very low-impact cardiovascular exercise and can help keep muscles from fading away. It has six workout programs, which is very rare for a fitness machine costing less than $250. If your expectations aren’t very high, and you aren’t after lots of power, then you might consider the A20 to be a very good value.
Schwinn A20 Recumbent Bike Specs:
|Resistance:||8 Magnetic Levels|
|Weight Capacity:||275 LBS|
|Dimensions:||51" L x n/a" W x 64" H|