A Low-Priced Indoor Cycle with 31-Pound Flywheel
The Schwinn IC2 with toe clip pedals is especially useful to beginning and intermediate spinners. This low-priced indoor bike supports intense cardio training, muscle sculpting and calorie burn.
The Schwinn IC2 Indoor Cycle Trainer is a lower-priced fitness machine ($599) intended for people who enjoy spin class. It supports high-intensity calorie burn and cycling your way to shapely legs. This sturdy bike has a 31-pound flywheel with infinite resistance adjustment; tension is controlled with a knob. The handlebars are adjustable, the pedals have a good Q-factor, and the sturdy frame is made from steel.
Like most spin bikes, the Schwinn IC2 is basic in terms of nonessential features. It doesn’t have preset workouts or high-tech entertainment like many exercise bikes do. It does provide time, distance, RPM, speed and calorie readouts.
Two versions of this bike are on the market. The black version is the newest and it’s an improvement over the silver-colored version, which seemed to have poor quality control. The black Schwinn IC2 gets more enthusiastic customer reviews. Part by part, here are some pros and cons to consider about buying the black Schwinn IC2 Indoor Cycle Trainer.
- Data Console: The LCD computer is simple to use. It shows time, distance, RPM, speed and an an estimate of calories burned. The console uses two AA batteries.
- Pedals: These pedals are made to please serious cyclists. They can be used with cycling shoes (they have toe clips) but also have straps for people wearing regular sneakers.
- Adjustable Seat: The Schwinn IC2 Indoor Cycle Trainer has an adjustable seat. Its standard stem makes the seat customizable too.
- Adjustable Handlebars: The handlebars aren’t especially multipositional but they do adjust for comfort.
- Sturdy Design: The bike frame isn’t under lifetime warranty, but you can expect it to hold up. It’s made from about 50 pounds of steel. Combined with the heavy flywheel and other components, it creates a fitness machine weighing about 85 pounds. Its max capacity is 250 pounds.
- Heavy Flywheel: The 31-pound weighted wheel is impressive. Many spin bikes have 40-pound or 48-pound flywheels, but the IC2 still supports intense workouts and gives the sensation of riding a road bike.
- Transport Wheels: Wheels are attached to the bike for easy transport. Also, rear levelers help keep it stable after repositioning.
- Small Footprint: This fitness machine demands little space. Its footprint measures 45″ x 23″.
- Easy Assembly: Customers generally report that the Schwinn IC2 is straightforward to assemble.
Why wouldn’t you choose this bike? Here are some possible drawbacks.
- Uncomfortable Seat: The seat can be uncomfortable on the tailbone. Riders recommend getting a cushioned seat cover or changing the seat.
- No Heart Rate Monitor: Neither a grip monitor nor wireless receiver are provided.
- Makes Noise: This bike has a mechanical resistance system. Some customers are annoyed by squeaks when they ride. Others would say that since the bike is no louder than a road bike, they are satisfied.
- Mechanical Resistance: The Schwinn IC2 uses felt brake pads. Its resistance system probably has lower longevity than that of a bike with magnetic resistance.
- Display Not Lit: The display isn’t backlit, so it’s not as easy on the eyes as others.
- Short Warranty: The Schwinn IC2 Indoor Cycle Trainer comes with a five-year warranty for the frame, a year for mechanical and electrical parts, and 90 days for wear parts. That’s not a very consumer-friendly deal considering the $599 MSRP.
Who Should Ride the Schwinn IC2 Indoor Cycle Trainer?
The Bottom Line
The Schwinn IC2 Indoor Cycle Trainer is Schwinn’s only spin bike. It is low-priced for a spin bike and offers some good health benefits, but it doesn’t stand out from what other brands offer. The complaints about noise and the lack of heart rate monitoring are especially disappointing.
We’d rather spend $799 and invest in the Diamondback 510Ic indoor bike. It has a 32-pound flywheel, quiet magnetic resistance and lots of built-in workouts.
Another great option is the NordicTrack GX 3.0 Sport Cycle, which has a 44-pound wheel. At last check NordicTrack was selling this bike for just $399! The original price was $999.
Schwinn IC2 Indoor Cycle Trainer Specs:
|Weight Capacity:||250 LBS|
|Dimensions:||45" L x 23" W x 49" H|