For Home Gyms, Sole’s Lowest-Priced Recumbent Exercise Bike
The Sole R92 Recumbent Bike is a smart, affordable choice for people seeking low-impact cardiovascular workouts. It has an especially comfortable and sturdy frame, offers 20 resistance settings, and provides varied workout programs for training support. The new model for 2016 has a 20-pound flywheel, Bluetooth for data sharing, a tablet holder and speakers for an MP3 player.
The Sole R92 Recumbent Bike is the lowest-priced recumbent bike from Sole Fitness. It features an aluminum-coated steel frame, a 20-pound flywheel, a 9″ LCD and extras such as music speakers, Bluetooth for syncing with mobile fitness apps, and a water bottle holder.
Sole Fitness is known for its great attention to biomechanics, and the R92 is designed to put relatively little stress on a rider’s feet and joints. This lets it serve as a gentle rehab bike in addition to a tool for intense cardio training and shedding weight.
Sole’s standard residential warranty, which includes three years of coverage on the parts and electronics, is a good match for this model’s new sale price of $999. The MSRP is $1,799.
Here are some pros and cons about buying the Sole R92 Recumbent Bike.
- Sturdy Steel Frame: Sole exercise bikes are virtually indestructible; all have lifetime warranties. The R92’s recumbent frame is built from heavy-gauge steel tubing and sealed with a shroud of aluminum. It weighs about 125 pounds and has a lifetime guarantee. Altogether the bike weighs 152 pounds and has a 300-pound weight capacity.
- Quiet Operation: Sole bikes are “whisper quiet.” Owners don’t complain about noise like they do with bikes from cheaper brands. A magnetic resistance system on the R92 Recumbent Bike helps ensure virtually silent transitions between challenge levels.
- Flywheel: The R92 has a 20-pound flywheel. This provides a relatively smooth ride for most riders. It’s an especially good match for beginners and people who aren’t especially heavy.
- Ergonomic Pedals: Sole Fitness uses narrow spacing between pedals to promote low-impact, ergonomically correct workouts. Pedals on the R92 are extra-wide and tilted slightly inward.
- Built-In Programs: This model includes two heart rate controlled workouts, provides six standard programs, and has space for two user-designed programs. These can be used at 20 resistance levels. The workouts and data are shown on a 9″ LCD.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth lets the trainee’s mobile device serve as an alternative workout display. Sole’s new workout app can be used for program setup, data storage and exporting workout stats to compatible mobile apps. It can run in the background while other apps like YouTube or Safari are used to help pass workout time. The bike has a tablet holder on the console.
- Heart Rate Monitors: The Sole R92 is shipped with a chest strap to use for wireless heart rate monitoring. It also has grip pulse sensors built into its handlebars. Two workout programs controlled by heart rate data are included.
- Adjustable Seat: The bike’s well-padded seat can be moved forward and back. It has an adjustable back.
- Adjustable Handlebars: The handlebars can be moved up and down, forward and backward for a custom fit.
- Audio: A jack and speakers for an MP3 player are built into the machine.
- Water Bottle Holder: The Sole R92 Recumbent Bike has a built-in water bottle holder.
- Fans: Workout fans are integrated with the bike.
- Transport Wheels: When the machine is slightly lifted, small wheels emerge for easy transport.
- High Capacity: The bike’s maximum user weight capacity is 300 pounds.
- Warranty: The R92’s online discount price of $999 includes a lifetime guarantee on the frame, three years on electronics and parts, and a year of in-home labor.
This product has lots of selling points. Still, it’s not for everyone. Some people would prefer the pricier Sole LCR Light Commercial for smoother rides, higher challenge levels and even better durability. Also keep these factors in mind:
- Footprint: The Sole R92 isn’t oversized, but it’s not the most space-saving recumbent bike we’ve seen. It has a footprint of 57″ x 30″.
- Weak Fans: You might find that the integrated workout fans are weak. That’s a minor factor though given the machine’s overall quality.
Who Should Ride the Sole R92 Recumbent Bike?
The Bottom Line
The Sole R92 Recumbent Bike offers an affordable way to get cardio training with little risk of injury. It has a low online sale price and is backed by a strong warranty. The R92 for 2016 is an especially good match for beginning to intermediate level trainees working on weight loss, body toning or physical rehabilitation.
Sole R92 Recumbent Bike Specs:
|Resistance:||ECB 1 - 20 Levels|
|Weight Capacity:||300 LBS|
|Dimensions:||57" L x 30" W x 50" H|