An Affordable Light Commercial Exercise Bike for Home Use
The good-looking Sole SB700 Indoor Cycle Trainer is engineered to feel like a road bike. Durable and quiet, it features a 48-pound drive, session feedback and wireless heart rate monitoring.
The red and black Sole SB700 Indoor Cycle Trainer is made for home gyms but has light commercial features. A 48-pound flywheel and durable steel frame help the Sole SB700 get taken seriously by outdoor cyclists, but the bike is also suitable for people just looking to get toned, exercise their heart and lungs, or drop some weight.
The Sole SB700 originally sold for $1299 and now has a $799 sale price. That includes shipping and a customer-friendly standard warranty. Owners get a lifetime guarantee on the frame, three years of coverage for parts and electronics, and free in-home labor during the first year of ownership.
Here are some pros and cons about buying the Sole SB700 Bike Light Commercial Indoor Cycle Trainer.
- Heavy Flywheel: The Sole SB700 effectively mimics the feel of a road bike. Its flywheel is 48 pounds of chrome-plated steel, precision balanced to allow an incredibly smooth ride.
- Quiet Operation: The well-designed drive and a Kevlar braking system contribute to this cycle trainer’s quiet operation.
- Powerful Resistance: As you’d expect, the 48-pound drive delivers excellent resistance. Most trainees aren’t likely to master the machine
- Durable Frame: This unit has a durable commercial frame. Made from steel tubing and covered with aluminum, it is virtually indestructible yet doesn’t require super-humans to move it.
- Adjustable Handlebars: Move the handlebars up or down, forward or backward to get a customized fit.
- Adjustable Seat: Move the bike seat forward or backward to get the right stride. You can also adjust the backrest.
- Oversized Pedals: The Sole SB700 features oversized pedals for user comfort. Straps are included to help prevent slipping.
- Simple Console: A simple LCD makes it easy to monitor your workout data. The 3″ x 4″ screen shows your time, RPM, distance, speed and calories burned.
- Wireless Heart Rate Monitoring: A wireless heart rate receiver makes it convenient to get an accurate readout. The straps are sold separately but worth the investment; knowing your heart rate, you can make the most of each cycling session and chart your fitness improvement over time.
- Self-Generating Power: Unlike many other exercise bikes, the Sole SB700 doesn’t require external power. This makes it easy to position the bike anywhere in your home.
- Water Bottle Holder: A built-in water bottle holder makes it convenient to stay hydrated as you exercise.
- High Capacity: The SB700’s user weight capacity is 300 pounds.
- Compact Size: This bike takes up relatively little space. Its footprint is just 40″ x 21″, and it is 42″ tall.
- Warranty: The warranty works out nicely for consumers who get the $999 sale price. It includes lifetime coverage for the frame, three years on parts and electronics, and free in-home labor during the first year of ownership. The commitment to in-home repairs is a good sign that Sole has confidence in the SB700 exercise bike.
This bike isn’t ideal for everyone. Here are some possible drawbacks, depending on your preferences and luck.
- No Built-In Workouts: The console doesn’t provide training guidance. On many other fitness bikes — but few cycle trainers — a minimum of six preset programs are included.
- No Entertainment: With its heavy-duty flywheel, the Sole SB700 is meant primarily for avid cyclists. It’s not loaded with unnecessary distractions like an iPod hookup or the Internet.
- Damage During Shipment: Most customers report being pleased with this purchase, but when they don’t, it’s often because a part was damaged during shipping. Since third-party shippers aren’t always thoughtful, Sole might do well to upgrade their packaging. To their credit though, Sole has a great record with customer service. If a part is damaged, they’re likely to replace it very quickly.
Who Should Choose the Sole SB700 Indoor Cycle Trainer?
The Bottom Line
The Sole SB700 is entry-level in its series, but this is a highly capable indoor cycle with a heavy-duty flywheel. Its smooth operation makes it popular among outdoor cyclists who need to sometimes train indoors. It also has suitable resistance levels for less experienced exercisers. Now selling for $999 with a good warranty, the Sole SB700 Indoor Cycle Trainer is a recommended buy.
Sole SB700 Bike Light Commercial Specs:
|Resistance:||Turn Dial (multi level)|
|Weight Capacity:||300 LBS|
|Dimensions:||40" L x 21" W x 42" H|