An Air Bike for Light Commercial Gyms & Home Use
New for 2017, the Sole SB800 is an all-abilities air bike with light commercial durability. Air bikes or fan bikes support every fitness level and are appropriate for goals as diverse as gentle physical rehabilitation, serious muscle toning and intense cardio training. Specs for the SB800 include an adjustable seat, 11 workout programs and wireless chest strap compatibility.
The SB800 is the only air bike from Sole Fitness, a top brand for home gyms and busy non-membership gyms in settings such as police stations, firehouses, apartment complexes and hotels. Air bikes or fan bikes are special among exercise bikes because they naturally meet anyone’s skill level: The harder you pedal, the more air resistance they create. (In contrast the typical stationary bike uses a flywheel for resistance and the trainee chooses from fixed challenge levels.) Additionally the Sole air bike has moving handlebars for upper body training. These can be used alone or simultaneously with the foot pedals. With an adjustable seat and 300-pound user weight capacity, this ride is designed to fit almost anybody.
The Sole SB800 has very little competition. Until Sole introduced this model for 2017, the main fan bike marketed for homes and commercial gyms was the Assault Fitness Airbike from LifeCORE. Compared with the Assault Airbike, which is a perfectly respectable trainer, the Sole SB800 has a roughly 75-pound advantage. The Sole air bike is also more robust in terms of programming.
Warranty coverage for this model is our only complaint. Whether the bike is used in a light commercial setting for up to five hours a day, or used much less at home, parts and labor are only covered for a year. The frame has a lifetime warranty at home and a five-year warranty in light commercial settings.
- Sturdy Build: The SB800 weighs about 175 pounds and has a solid steel frame. The bike’s maximum user weight capacity is 300 pounds.
- Unlimited Resistance: The SB800 responds to user effort, so it can be an ideal cardio trainer and resistance trainer for almost anyone. Choose it for light execise, intense training or something in between.
- Optional Upper Body Workouts: Moving handlebars let the arms, shoulders, back and core get a workout. The lower body can pedal simultaneously or relax with footrests.
- Low Impact: Unlike standard indoor and outdoor bikes the SB800 uses ultra-smooth air resistance. It is lower impact on joints compared with these alternatives.
- Workout Programs and Feedback: Manual mode and seven preset workout programs support goals for heart rate, calorie burn, distance, interval training and more. Furthermore to keep training fresh, four user-designed programs can be saved to the console computer. A 7″ data screen shows speed, RPM, Watts, heart rate and more.
- Wireless Heart Rate Monitoring: This bike can be used with a wireless chest strap (sold separately) for accurate heart rate monitoring even at high speeds.
- Adjustable Seat: The Sole SB800 bike seat is cushioned for comfort and has vertical/horizontal adjustability.
- Fan: The fan housing is left open, so a constant breeze helps keep you cool.
- Compact Size: The bike is just 50″ long and 26″ wide.
- Transport Wheels: Wheels are built into the front of the frame for easy transport.
- No Media Ledge: The console lacks a media ledge, so reading or using a tablet computer with this bike isn’t so convenient.
- Residential Warranty: Considering this trainer’s light commercial quality, we expected to see a longer residential warranty on the parts. The residential warranty provides lifelong protection for the frame, a year for parts and a year for labor. The light commercial warranty provides for five years of frame protection and a year for parts and labor.
Who Should Choose the Sole SB800 Bike?
The Bottom Line
The new Sole fan bike is built to be “everyone’s” exercise bike. It’s low impact, offers unlimited resistance and has customizable programs. We’d like to see a longer residential warranty for the parts and electronics, but given Sole’s reputation and the relative simplicity of air bike construction, the warranty isn’t a deal breaker. At the $899 sale price the Sole SB800 is a top contender (also see our top bike picks page) for light commercial spaces as well as home workout areas.
Sole SB800 Bike Specs:
|Weight Capacity:||300 LBS|
|Dimensions:||50" L x 26" W x 52" H|