An Affordable Cycle Trainer with Heavy Flywheel
The Sunny Health & Fitness Pro Indoor Cycle combines a very low price with durability and powerful resistance. Its key features are a steel frame and 40-pound flywheel.
The bright red and grey Sunny Health & Fitness Pro Indoor Cycle surprised us. It is a very low-priced yet durable trainer that supports invigorating workouts. Whether your goal is weight loss, strength training, or preparing for outdoor rides, the Sunny Pro Indoor Cycle can be a great partner! Its key feature is a 40-pound flywheel with smooth and quiet operation. Owners can affix SPD pedals or any standard road bike pedals too.
This unit’s list price is $329 but now it’s priced at about $250 with shipping included. Here’s a point-by-point review of the Sunny Pro Indoor Cycle’s features.
- Heavy Flywheel: The heart of Sunny’s Pro Indoor Cycle is a robust 40-pound flywheel. Its chain drive mechanism is designed to mimic the smooth resistance that traditional outdoor bikes provide.
- Steel Frame: This bike has a steel frame and a 275-pound user weight capacity. Owners write that it’s a very stable fitness machine.
- Quiet Operation: This cycle operates quietly according to about 95% of owners. The quiet operation holds up even after several years of regular use. A minority of customers received products with defective parts (or perhaps assembled their machines improperly) and complain about noise.
- Easy Assembly: All required tools are included. Most customers report that assembly time is less than 30 minutes, and some claim 10 minutes! Even so, an assembly service is available for $120.
- Pedals: The pedals include toe clips and straps. Plus, owners can affix any standard bike pedals to the frame. (Note that if you intend to do this, you should do it in the beginning. Once the included pedals are attached, they are difficult to remove.)
- High Capacity: The maximum user weight capacity is 275 pounds.
- Adjustable Saddle: It’s easy to move the Sunny Pro bike seat up or down for the right stride length. The adjustability makes this bike a good fit for most people about 5′ 1″ to 6’2″ tall. The seat is reasonably comfortable but some riders augment it with a gel cover.
- Adjustable Handlebars: The handlebars are adjustable and padded.
- Compact Size: This machine is sized well for apartments and small rooms. Its footprint is just 48.5″ x 20″.
Why doesn’t everybody choose the Sunny Pro Indoor Cycle? It’s a very basic trainer. There isn’t a console, so there’s no workout guidance, no fitness feedback, and no built-in entertainment. Here are some specifics to consider.
- No Console with Programming or Data: This exercise bike doesn’t have a console. It’s a lot like an outdoor bike. In contrast, other indoor cycle trainers provide feedback such as speed, distance, time, RPM, calories burned and heart rate.
- No Onboard Entertainment: Obviously, without a console there isn’t any entertainment. Other indoor bikes have iPod-compatible speakers and jacks. Some have high-def screens for viewing exercise videos and other entertainment… Granted, these features are less common on indoor cycle trainers like the Sunny Pro, and more common on recumbent bikes or regular exercise bikes. Generally, the people who care about a heavy flywheel aren’t concerned with high-tech extras.
- No Bottle Holder: A water bottle holder isn’t included.
- Warranty: No warranty is included. An optional $27 warranty gives limited protection for three years and is recommended.
Who Should Ride the Sunny Health & Fitness Pro Indoor Cycle?
The Bottom Line
The Sunny Health & Fitness Pro Indoor Cycle is a pleasant surprise. Considering the low price and absent warranty, we were expecting a wannabe — but this bike is the real deal. It has a heavy flywheel, a sturdy steel frame and a great track record. We recommend buying the optional warranty, which costs just $27.
Sunny Health & Fitness Pro Indoor Cycling Bike Specs:
|Weight Capacity:||275 LBS|
|Dimensions:||48.5" L x 20" W x 46.5" H|