A Heavy-Duty Exercise Bike For Home Use
This recumbent bike from True Fitness offers a comfortable ride and workout experience.
The True PS50 Recumbent Bike is the most affordable home-use recumbent bike from True Fitness. With heavy-duty construction and a competitive warranty, it’s a good value at the $1899 retail price. Some key features are quiet magnetic resistance, an ergonomic mesh seat with 24 positions, wireless heart rate monitoring, and seven workout programs.
The PS50 is one of three recumbent exercise bikes that True sells for home use. This unit doesn’t offer the same compact footprint as the pricier recumbent bikes in the True ES Series, but at 65 inches long it’s still practical for most home workout spaces. Also compared with the more expensive True Fitness recumbent bikes, the PS50 has a lower range of resistance, with the top setting at 350 instead of 450 Watts… so you can save money if max power isn’t needed. This model has a simpler console with fewer workout programs too. Still, the seven provided bring good variety: Choose from preset routines in the categories Heart Rate Cruise Control, Hill, Performance, and Weight Loss.
This solid fitness machine weighs 158 pounds and features a welded steel frame with lifetime warranty. The $1899 MSRP also includes a five-year parts/electronics warranty and one year of labor.
- High Quality: The True PS50 Recumbent is heavier duty than the average home exercise bike. It’s strong enough to hold up in a multi-rider home, it operates quietly, and it’s designed to perform in peak condition without the frequent maintenance needed by low-end alternatives.
- Space-Conscious and Portable: This exercise bike weighs a hefty 158 pounds but is relatively compact at 65” L x 35” W. It’s easy to move out of the way as well; transport wheels are attached.
- Comfortable Seating: A high-backed seat made from mesh material provides lumbar support and good airflow for comfort. With adjustments for the seat angle and distance from the pedals, you have 24 positions to choose from.
- Magnetic Resistance: Magnetic resistance (instead of contact braking) on the True PS50 helps the bike operate quietly and perform well for many years.
- Workout Variety: This bike has few preset workouts compared with many others, but at the same time it offers good variety like a typical health club fitness machine. You can choose from seven quick-start workouts that use heart rate control or help you target goals for weight loss, performance or interval training.
- Media Rack: A small shelf on the PS50 console can hold a magazine or tablet computer.
- High Capacity: The maximum user weight capacity is 350 pounds.
- Warranty: This exercise bike is sold with a fair warranty including five years of parts and electronics protection, a year for labor and lifetime coverage for the frame.
- Wear Parts: The wear parts (such as the moisture-resistant handlebar covers) seem to be good quality, but they’re only under warranty for six months.
- Skill Level: Resistance settings for this unit range from 30 to 350 watts. The average trainee could get just-right workouts in terms of cardio and strength challenge, but the most advanced riders would be better off with a True recumbent bike from the ES Series (ES700 or ES900).
Who Should Ride the True PS50 Recumbent Bike?
The PS50 Recumbent is a great match for the individual or family seeking high quality but not the toughest challenge levels they could find at a membership gym. This bike is very comfortable to ride and adjusts to just about any rider size, so it can be an inviting way for just about anybody to manage their weight, tone their lower body and exercise the heart. Like any good quality recumbent bike, it can be a smart choice whether you’re recuperating from an injury or generally aiming to keep your exercise low-impact and low-risk.
The Bottom Line
The True PS50 Recumbent Bike is a good value when you don’t need super-strong resistance but want a durable trainer for regular use. The console isn’t especially engaging or flashy, but you can always roll the bike over to a TV or bring your mobile device along for digital entertainment. Here you’ll get high-grade components and helpful training programs with parts and electronics protected for five years.
For True Fitness recumbent bikes that can support more advanced cross training, check out the ES Series. The ES700 is a compact but more powerful version of the PS50. The ES900 adds “bike mode” so you can choose between the regular magnetic resistance and the simulation of a 21-speed bike. Each is available with a full-color touchscreen console.
True PS50 Recumbent Bike Specs:
|Resistance:||30 - 350 watts|
|Weight Capacity:||350 lbs.|