BH Fitness S5Ri Recumbent Bike Review
See below for the best alternative model.
How We Reviewed This Model
The top recumbent bike in BH Fitness’s Signature Series is the BH Fitness S5Ri. Sold with a 10-year parts warranty, this home exercise bike is designed for the long haul. It supports comfortable cycling and has programming for workouts and entertainment.
Riders can choose from 26 workouts modes including one they design. Additional workouts are available online and can be accessed via iConnect. This technology uses an app to connect a mobile phone, tablet computer or iPod Touch. The device can not only download new programs but also serve as the bike’s workout screen. iConcept runs in the background, making it convenient to use other apps and personal files during workouts.
Other highlights include fingertip controls, a wireless heart rate receiver, and heart rate controlled workouts. Is this the best recumbent bike for you? Here are our pro/con lists for the BH Fitness S5Ri Recumbent Bike.
This S5Ri is the top recumbent bike in the Signature Series, which is BH Fitness’s most affordable collection of fitness machines. Here are some reasons people choose this model.
- Recumbent Seating: Recumbent bikes are designed to support lower-body workouts with less stress. Instead of positioning the rider upright, recumbent bikes let the rider recline, thus putting less pressure on the knees and other joints. The BH Fitness S5Ri bike seat provides good lumbar support with an adjustable seat back. The seat back is ventilated to help keep you cool. Handlebars attached to the seat offer stability and have contact heart rate sensors. They also have controls for resistance, which are more convenient than the console buttons.
- Walk-Through Design: The S5Ri Recumbent Bike is especially easy to enter and exit. It has an open “walk-through” space at the front of the bike. On other bikes that space would be occupied by the flywheel.
- Workout Programs: This exercise bike arrives with 26 workout modes. The collection includes heart rate controlled programs (beginner, intermediate, advanced and custom), interval training, random mode and more. There are 24 levels of resistance.
- iConcept: iConcept can keep the bike’s technology and programming fresh over the years. This system lets your tablet computer, iPod Touch or smartphone act as the workout console. It can download new programs released by BH Fitness, including some workout routines that simulate famous bike routes. The workout program runs in the background so that you can conveniently switch to other apps and files.
- Exercise Data: Workout feedback include distance, time, calories, speed, RPM and heart rate.
- Heart Rate Monitoring: This bike has a wireless heart rate receiver. (The chest strap is sold separately.) It also has contact sensors. The pulse data can be used with interactive workouts to help ensure that you exercise within a given heart rate range.24
- Resistance Levels: The S5Ri Recumbent Bike has resistance levels for different workout needs, from rehabilitation to more intense calorie burn.
- Adjustable Handlebars: This bike offers the most handlebar adjustment of any in the series. There is fore/aft adjustment and vertical adjustment, plus the handlebars can be rotated.
- Secure Pedaling: The bike pedals are texturized and have shoe straps for stability. Extra width on the platforms lets you reposition your feet for better comfort during long rides.
- Water Bottle Holder: A water bottle holder is attached to the frame.
- Transport Wheels: Easily move the bike to another room with help from its transport wheels.
- Sturdy: The S5Ri Recumbent Bike weighs almost 150 pounds. It has a 350-pound user weight capacity.
- Warranty: This bike has a very competitive residential warranty. Owners get lifetime coverage for the frame and parts protection for ten years. Labor is free for the first year.
Here are some potential drawbacks of choosing the BH Fitness S5Ri Recumbent Bike. The S5Ri Recumbent Bike is sized for most adults. It can hold up to 350 pounds and, more than other exercise bikes, it’s adjustable for rider height. This bike is a top choice for low-impact workouts that boost the metabolism, tone the lower body and support cardiovascular health. The BH Fitness S5Ri Recumbent Bike is the most robust reclining bike in its series. It offers an above average value with a 10-year parts warranty, preset programs and iConcept. This comfortable ride is a good choice for home gyms.
Who Should Ride the BH Fitness S5Ri Recumbent Bike?
The Bottom Line
BH Fitness S5Ri Recumbent Bike Specs
Rating 8.5 Type Recumbent Console display Blue Backlit LCD Resistance 24 Levels Seat type Adjustable Programs 26 Flywheel n/a Weight 350 LBS Dimensions 66" L x 13" W x 30" H
Here are some potential drawbacks of choosing the BH Fitness S5Ri Recumbent Bike.
The S5Ri Recumbent Bike is sized for most adults. It can hold up to 350 pounds and, more than other exercise bikes, it’s adjustable for rider height. This bike is a top choice for low-impact workouts that boost the metabolism, tone the lower body and support cardiovascular health.
The BH Fitness S5Ri Recumbent Bike is the most robust reclining bike in its series. It offers an above average value with a 10-year parts warranty, preset programs and iConcept. This comfortable ride is a good choice for home gyms.