Proform X-Bike Elite Review
The Proform X-Bike Elite Exercise Bike is a good entry-level, inexpensive option for a low-impact workout. The improvements on the minimalist design of the…
Proform X-Bike Elite Specs
|Console display||LCD monitor|
|Seat type||Oversized Adjustable Cushioned Seats|
|Weight capacity||250 lbs|
|Dimensions||37” L x 17” W x 42" H|
Why You Should Trust Us
The Proform X-Bike Elite Exercise Bike offers a few upgrades from the first version of the Proform X-Bike that prove Proform has listened to customers’ feedback. The Elite is still one of Proform’s least expensive bikes, but a few core features typically found in their higher-end machines have been included in the new and improved Proform X-Bike Elite. These include: iFit and Bluetooth capability, EKG Grip Pulse Heart Rate Sensor, oversized cushioned seats and 10 resistance levels.
Coming enabled with iFit is always a good feature to have since it adds a variety of fun and exciting training programs virtually. You can find yourself riding in the streets of your choice 3000 miles away or in a spin class, whatever your fancy. However, the subscription is sold separately and starts at $15/month. That said, depending on your needs, your ride doesn’t have to be that fancy, the LCD monitor gives the basic important feedback: distance, speed, time elapsed and calories burned. What makes iFit unique is the automatic trainer control where the trainers and/or program can adjust your resistance while you exercise.
The resistance levels have been increased from 8 to 10 levels, which is better but may not be enough for a more advanced rider or someone with particularly strong legs. The EKG Grip Pulse Heart Rate Sensor found in the handlebars is easy to access and read. Oversized cushioned seats are comfortable, making a longer ride easier on your backside. Two 2-lb dumbbells are found on the back of the seat so you can add some strength training to your cardio program. The pedal runs smooth and the ride is extremely quiet so no one else will be distracted by the sound of your ride.
The Proform X-Bike Elite’s compact, foldable design takes up very little space. At approximately 43 lbs it’s pretty easy to just fold up and move out of the way when you are finished.
- iFit Enabled: The iFit enabled membership gives access to a wide range of workout programs – virtually. Ride various terrains all over the world or settle in to a spin class, all done from the comfort of your home.
- EKG Grip Pulse Heart Rate Sensor: Easily monitor your heart rate with the built-in handlebar sensors.
- 10 Resistance Levels: You can start with a light resistance for warm-up and progress to more intense levels as you build up stamina.
- Two dumbbells: Two 2-lb dumbbells allow you to do some strength training during your cardio workout.
- Oversized Adjustable Cushioned Seat: The seat makes workouts more comfortable, which helps you to go longer and increase endurance and fitness levels. It can also be adjusted for height to fit a variety of riders.
- Spacesaver: Easily folds up and is light (under 43 lbs) enough to move. Great for storage purposes.
- Small frame: Takes up very little space when in use.
- Pedal Straps: Holds feet firmly in place while you ride.
- Quiet: Very smooth and quiet ride from the inertia-enhanced flywheel.
- Only Moderate Resistance: The resistance, even at level 10, may not be enough for a stronger rider.
- Low Weight Capacity: The weight capacity is set to 250 lbs, the standard is typically 300 lbs.
- Short Warranty: A 1-year warranty for the frame and a 90-day limited warranty for the parts.
- iFit Subscription Not Included: Subscription to iFit does not come with the bike, it’s sold separately at $39 per month.
- Limited Seat Adjustment: Like the X-Bike, the seat is only vertically adjustable and cannot be moved back and forth.
WHO SHOULD RIDE THE PROFORM X-BIKE ELITE?
The Proform X-Bike Elite is good for light to moderate low-impact workouts and can work for most levels of fitness. A less experienced rider may be able to use the X-Bike Elite for an intense cardio workout with a bit of strength training thanks to the 2-lb weights. A stronger rider might find it useful for a warm-up or light ride.
This bike is better-suited for people who weigh around 200 lbs or less.
The Bottom Line
The Proform X-Bike Elite is a fine entry-level bike at a low price point and is worthwhile if you’re looking for a way to add more cardio into your life without buying a big, expensive machine that will take up a lot of room in your home. Proform has improved upon the original Proform X-Bike by adding features that, on other bikes, have become pretty standard. The simple design of the bike is appealing, but including a heart rate monitor and a more comfortable seat doesn’t exactly make it “elite.” The iFit package makes up for the lack of programs, but because the subscription is sold separately, the additional cost takes away from its appeal and undermines the low price point of the bike itself. The small frame and the folding SpaceSaver® design are maybe the biggest perk of the X-Bike Elite. You can easily store it in a closet once you’ve finished working out; no clutter, or temptation to use as a clothing rack!