Schwinn 150 Upright Bike Review
This model has been discontinued. See below for the best alternative model.
How We Reviewed This Model
The Schwinn 150 Upright Stationary Bike is a big step up from the Schwinn 130, but it also sells for less than $300. Highlights are wireless heart monitoring, 16 preset workouts (including several that are heart rate controlled), and a sound system for MP3 players. This bike supports long-term data tracking and can be a powerful aid in cardio training, weight loss and muscle toning. Trainees find that it especially challenges the quadriceps.
Schwinn sells this bike through various retailers such as Target, Wal-Mart and Play It Again Sports. The Schwinn website has a product locator; just enter your city name or ZIP code to find the bike nearest you. Here are some pros and cons about making this purchase.
The GreatThe Schwinn 150 Upright Stationary Bike has a remarkable specs list considering its low price. Here are some points that owners like.
- Easy Assembly: This bike is relatively easy to assemble. It can mostly be done by one strong person with occasional assistance holding the machine.
- Preset Workouts: The Schwinn 150 stationary bike console has 16 workout modes. In addition to “quick start” or manual mode, there are eight standard workouts, one distance goal program, and four workouts controlled by heart rate data. Riders can save two programs that they design themselves.
- Data Screen and Tracking: A backlit multicolor screen shows time, interval time, RPM, watts, distance in miles or kilometers, speed, heart rate and calories burned along with the course profile and resistance level. Trainees can also use Schwinn Advantage workout tracking. This feature saves workout information along with the rider’s weight, gender and other data.
- Wireless Receiver: A Polar telemetry-enable heart rate system is provided. (Chest straps are sold separately.)
- Ergonomic Pedals: The pedals are specially weighted and oversized to promote comfort. However, some smaller riders find that the pedals are too large.
- Magnetic Resistance: Schwinn 150 upright stationary bikes use magnetic resistance to promote a smooth and quiet ride. Plus, the flywheel is specially weighted to help replicate the feel of riding a street bike.
- Adjustable: The Schwinn 150 Upright Bike has an adjustable seat and console.
- Water Bottle Holder: A water bottle holder is attached to bike frame.
- More Extras: The Schwinn 150 has a workout fan, an MP3 input port and speakers, and holders for magazines, e-books or other media.
- High Capacity: The advertised maximum user weight capacity is 300 pounds (136 kilograms).
- Small Footprint: Schwinn stationary bikes are compact. Here the footprint measures 42″ x 21″.
- Transport Wheels: Wheels are attached to the bike for easy transport. It also has stabilizers to help with sturdy repositioning.
Is this the best exercise bike for you? It has some nice specs, but here are some potential drawbacks too.
- Packaging: Judging from customer reviews, sometimes the packaging for Schwinn exercise bikes is substandard and the products arrive damaged.
- Lower Quality: Schwinn exercise bikes fit their low prices. Most customers find that the products are reasonably durable for their price class. You might have some trouble with the mechanics or electrical parts, and Schwinn expects owners to attempt certain repairs on their own.
- Lackluster Warranty: The Schwinn 150 Upright Bike has a not-so-impressive warranty. The buyer gets a five-year warranty for the frame, a year for mechanical and electrical parts, and free labor during the first 90 days. Some parts are only covered for 90 days. It’s probably a good idea to buy the extended warranty, which cost $27 last time we checked.
Who Should Ride the Schwinn 150 Upright Stationary Bike?
The Bottom Line
The Schwinn 150 Upright Stationary Bike is a very low-priced stationary bike, yet it provides especially efficient workouts with heart rate control. The Schwinn Advantage data tracking is a nice feature too and not typical for a discount exercise bike. We’d recommend the Schwinn 150 to shoppers who want a bargain and aren’t expecting perfection.
Schwinn 150 Upright Bike Specs
|Console display||Backlit, Multi-Color LCD|
|Flywheel||Perimeter Weighted Flywheel|
|Dimensions||42" L x 21" W x 52" H|