Avari U110 Magnetic Upright Bike Review
This model has been discontinued. See below for the best alternative model.
How We Reviewed This Model
The Avari U110 Magnetic Upright Stationary Bike is a very basic stationary bike offering eight levels of quiet magnetic resistance. Its simple LCD shows speed, distance, time, calories, rpm and pulse. The list price of just $249 includes a limited warranty protecting customers against overall defective units, plus the frame is under warranty for one year and parts are covered for 90 days.
This bike is an item from Stamina Products, a company that formed in 1987 and serves the mass market with a wide range of discount fitness equipment. Avari stationary bikes are among their lowest-priced products. The Avari U110 Magnetic Upright Bike forms a set with the Avari recumbent bike and Avari rowing machine.
Here’s a point-by-point review of the Avari U110’s features.
The GreatThis bike supports low-impact workouts that aren’t likely to bring muscle pain. Here are some reasons people choose the Avari U110 Magnetic Upright Stationary Bike.
- Light Flywheel: The heart of this ride is a very light flywheel. Tension can be adjusted with a knob beneath the handlebars. Although the knob is labeled 1-8, the change in tension is continuous. These tension levels are generally best for rehabilitation, moderate calorie burn and muscle toning.
- Magnetic Resistance: Magnetic resistance is used for quiet operation. With fewer touching parts, this bike has fewer opportunities to clank.
- Data: The Avari U110 Magnetic Upright Stationary Bike displays distance, time, speed, calories, RPM and pulse. It also has an odometer.
- Comfortable Pedals: The pedals move along a comfortable path and have shoe straps for safety.
- Padded Grips with Sensors: Handlebar grips are padded for comfort. They include pulse sensors, but the readouts aren’t necessarily accurate in the way wireless sensors are.
- Adjustable Saddle: The bike seat can be moved up or down, forward or backward for riders of different heights.
- Weight Capacity: The user weight limit is 250 pounds.
- Compact Size: The Avari U110 is very small, unlike stationary bikes at commercial gyms. It is sized for apartments and houses.
This bike is one of Stamina’s less durable products and appears sized for lighter-weight people. Few customer reviews are in, but we would be surprised if it held up under heavier use. Here are some possible downsides of choosing the Avari U110 Magnetic Upright Stationary Bike.
- Cheaper Frame: Unlike most stationary bikes, this unit doesn’t have a steel frame. It has a lighter weight capacity than other bikes, even in the discount price class. It is only under warranty for one year.
- Basic Seat: The bike seat is not designed for comfort during longer rides. Riders might like to add gel seat covers. Other stationary bikes are more contoured like street bike seats, or oversized and cushioned to help promote endurance.
- No Water Bottle Holder: A water bottle holder would be a convenient addition.
- Handlebars: The handlebars are not adjustable. Riders can only adjust the seat. On other bikes, the handlebars can be adjusted not only for user height but to allow for different stances.
- No Transport Wheels: Most stationary bikes have transport wheels. These make the machine easy to roll when it’s slightly tilted.
- Short Warranty: This bike carries a very substandard warranty. The frame is only protected for one year. Parts can only be replaced for free during the first 90 days.
Who Should Choose the Avari U110 Magnetic Upright Stationary Bike?
The Bottom Line
The Avari U110 Magnetic Upright Stationary Bike is a very basic bike. Customer feedback is sparse. (We welcome your reviews!) Our educated guess is that the Avari U110 could support a year or two of not-so-intense workouts for an average-sized adult. Parked in front of a television — and with a gel seat cover added — it could help time fly by as muscles are toned and pounds are dropped.
Some discount indoor bike brands with more established track records are Epic and Sunny Health & Fitness.