A Low-Impact Exercise Bike with 29 Programs
The 270 is Schwinn's best recumbent exercise bike. It’s loaded with 29 diverse workout modes, has heart rate control, and uses a 17-pound flywheel.
The Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike is the top product in Schwinn’s reclined bike collection. It’s loaded with 29 preset workout programs, including two fitness tests and several workouts that are heart rate controlled.
The adjustability, range of resistance, and four user profiles help make the Schwinn 270 a great choice for many households. However, if there’s a serious outdoor biker in your home, you might want something a bit more powerful. This bike’s flywheel weighs 17 pounds. That’s ample weight for toning the lower body but not for high-level training.
This recumbent trainer is officially priced at $799 but sells online for less than $500. The price includes the required electrical adaptor. Customers get Schwinn’s best exercise bike warranty too, which includes two years of protection on mechanical parts and electronics.
- Walk-Through Design: Like other recumbent bikes, the 270 is easy to access. There’s no bar impeding your access to the chair, and the bike is lower to the ground than upright bikes are.
- Comfortable Seating: Seating is one of the most important features on a recumbent bike. The chair-like seat used here has good lumbar support and cushioning. The back lets air flow to help keep you cool.
- Sturdy: This machine isn’t very heavy; the Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike weighs just 88 pounds. Even so, it has a 300-pound capacity. A center support is included for added stability.
- Resistance: Quiet eddy current brake resistance is used. It’s divided into 25 levels.
- Four User Profiles: With four user profiles, this bike is one of the few that lets different family members save workout information, custom programs and personal data.
- USB Data Transfer: This bike enables advanced fitness tracking. It has a USB drive for storing data, which can be uploaded to the Schwinn Connect website. The interface is also compatible with MyFitnessPal. That’s an app that integrates data from various sources to create a more comprehensive picture of workout activity.
- Built-In Fitness Programs: Lots of training support is offered through 29 program modes. There are 12 profile workouts and nine heart rate control workouts (beginner, advanced and custom). Additionally, trainees can save four programs, take fitness tests and try some other options. This bike offers more programming than any other recumbent Schwinn.
- Heart Rate Monitors: The Schwinn 270 has wireless telemetry and a grip heart rate monitor. The chest strap for wireless monitoring is not included.
- Sound System: Time passes more quickly with your favorite tunes. The Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike has an especially nice acoustic system for playing MP3s.
- More Extras: This bike has a water bottle holder, a three-speed fan, a USB charging port and an accessory tray.
- High Capacity: The maximum user weight capacity is 300 pounds (136 kilograms).
The Schwinn 270 gets mostly positive customer reviews. Some people think the console is confusing because it has so many choices. Here are some other possible drawbacks.
- Light Flywheel: The flywheel weighs about 17 pounds. Some people would prefer a heavier flywheel for the stronger resistance and smoother riding experience.
- Not for Tall People: Tall riders cannot extend their legs far enough with this bike.
- Weak Packaging: Schwinn exercise bikes are damaged in shipment more than some others are. The packaging isn’t as strong as it should be.
- Manual Monitor Not Good: Fortunately this bike has wireless pulse monitoring. Sometimes the manual pulse monitor doesn’t work at all.
- Imperfect Parts: A small but noticeable minority of customers receive defective products. To Schwinn’s credit, customers do report that customer service is helpful in providing replacement parts.
Who Should Ride the Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike?
The Bottom Line
The Schwinn 270 Bike is more impressive than other low-priced bikes from this brand. It offers lots of programming and can work with a wireless chest strap. If the 17-pound drive will support your fitness goals, then this affordable bike could be a sensible choice.
Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike Specs:
|Weight Capacity:||300 LBS|
|Dimensions:||13" L x 67" W x 27" H|