Indoor cycle with 40-pound flywheel and adjustable resistance.
The NordicTrack GX 3.5 Sport is an indoor cycle for outdoor bike enthusiasts. More so than standard stationary bikes, the GX 3.5 Sport with chain drive replicates the sensation of riding a road bike.
The NordicTrack GX 3.5 Sport indoor cycle for 2016 is built for the outdoor biker’s spirit. Unlike other exercise bikes by NordicTrack, it isn’t loaded with programs that control the bike’s resistance or the duration of each workout. You control the resistance, and you ride til you tire. Highlights of the GX 3.5 Sport include a 40-pound flywheel, a chain drive and manual resistance control, pedals with toe cages and straps, and adjustable parts (handlebars and seat). Data tracked on a small LCD are time, speed and watts.
The list price for the NordicTrack GX 3.5 Sport is $999, but the web sale price is just $399. Here are pros and cons to consider about making the purchase.
- Heavy Flywheel: A 40-pound flywheel makes the GX 3.5 Sport a bike for serious riders. For comparison, many non-sport stationary exercise bikes by NordicTrack and competitors have about 20-pound drives.
- Unique Design for Bikers: This indoor bike’s engineering emulates that of road bikes. It has quick-stop braking, a chain drive and road bike seating. Instead of controlling the resistance with buttons or a program, the rider twists a knob.
- Adjustable Handlebars: The handlebars have adjustable height. Overall the height range offers ideal settings for all but petite users.
- Adjustable Saddle: The bike seat is adjustable both vertically and horizontally.
- Manual Tension Control: A tension knob can be twisted to control the felt braking system.
- Flip Pedals: Pedals on the NordicTrack GX 3.5 Sport offer two options. On one side are toe cages to support stability at high speeds. On the other side are foot straps, which give you more room to reposition.
- Compact Size: This indoor bike takes up little space. Its footprint measures just 49″ x 18.5″.
The NordicTrack GX 3.5 Sport supports great workouts and costs just $399. However, it’s “bare bones” compared with NordicTrack bikes costing little more. Also note these drawbacks…
- Short Warranty: The bike’s parts are only under warranty for 90 days.
- No Pulse Monitor: Some other indoor cycle trainers have wireless heart rate receivers.
- Hard Seat: The saddle is hard. You might want to buy a gel seat cover or add a different seat.
WHO SHOULD USE THE NORDICTRACK GX 3.5 INDOOR SPORT CYCLE?
The NordicTrack GX 3.5 Indoor Sport exercise bike appeals to people who prefer the sensation of riding a road bike. While other types of exercise bikes have quiet digital braking, for example, the GX 3.5 has manual braking and a chain drive. It can be a good choice whether you’re preparing for outdoor rides or just riding indoors to lose weight and keep your heart healthy.
This sort of exercise bike isn’t everyone’s top choice. Some shoppers are after traditional upright stationary bikes, which don’t operate as much like road bikes but sometimes include fun adaptations for the indoor environment: web browsers, sound systems, immersive Google Maps workouts and more.
The Bottom Line
The NordicTrack GX 3.5 Sport fits the bill when you want a simple indoor bike with road bike performance. Its warranty is short but the GX 3.5 gets good reviews for durability, making it one of the better exercise bikes under $500.
For bikes with more advanced features and longer warranties, you can stay within the NordicTrack GX line and get good value.
NordicTrack GX 3.5 Sport Specs:
|Weight Capacity:||250 LBS|
|Dimensions:||49" L x 18.5" W x 39" H|