ProForm 740 ES Commercial Recumbent Bike Review
This model has been discontinued. See below for the best alternative model.
How We Reviewed This Model
This Model is Discontinued!
Please see similar Proform Bikes here!
Watch your favorite online shows or read your favorite blogs as you exercise! Built for a relaxed and secure fit, the web-enabled 740 ES Commercial is ProForm’s top recumbent bike — but don’t be misled by the “Commercial” name; this bike is sized and priced for home use. We’re excited about its new low price of $799 with shipping included.
The 740 ES Commercial has 34 preset programs and is also wired for iFit. The 34 preset and iFit workouts can efficiently guide trainees through calorie burn, cardio training and toning the lower body. This gentle ride may be approved for physical therapy too. Workouts and data are shown on a good-looking 7″ touchscreen… And the goodness keeps coming. The console also has an iPod jack, speakers and a USB charging port.
Is this the best exercise bike for your needs? The ProForm 740 ES Recumbent Bike has a comfortable chair-like seat and a 20-pound flywheel. Because of how it positions the rider, and its relatively light resistance, this bike is considered a low-impact fitness machine. Compared with riding an upright stationary bike, a person will feel less stress on their back, joints and feet.
Here are some pros and cons of choosing the ProForm 740 ES Commercial recumbent exercise bike.
- 34 Built-In Workouts: Fantastic variety! The 34 built-in workout programs take the guesswork out of bike training. Choose a goal, choose a program, and hit “Start.”
- iFit: An iFit subscription makes the most of the ProForm 740 ES Commercial bike. For one thing, with iFit you can virtually ride anywhere mapped by Google! The views can be beautiful. iFit also offers customized workout downloads, fitness tracking and other interactive benefits.
- Web-Enabled Touchscreen: This feature attracts lots of shoppers. The 7″ screen can display the built-in workouts, iFit, session data and the web.
- Attach Your Tablet Computer: Access your own files and apps during workouts. In addition to having a web-enabled touchscreen, this bike has a holder for your tablet computer.
- Recumbent Frame: The 740 ES is designed to put relatively low stress on the body. Unlike an upright bike, it lets the trainee lean back and cycle with their legs out front. This cycling motion requires less pressure from above. Plus, the ProForm 740 ES Commercial has an easy-access design; there isn’t a bar beneath the seat. Handlebars are provided next to the seat and on the console for stability.
- Ventilated Seat with Lumbar Support: The 740 ES Commercial provides good lumbar support with a high-backed ventilated seat. The seat is cushioned just right for comfortable exercise. It can be adjusted vertically and horizontally to fit different people’s heights.
- 26 Resistance Levels: This bike provides a good range of resistance levels for physical therapy, cardio training, burning calories and keeping muscles toned. However, it’s not the best for bulking up. Resistance can be automatically controlled by the machine or controlled by the trainee. A freewheel clutch design helps make this fitness machine feel a bit more like a road bike when compared with other recumbent bikes.
- Extra-Wide Pedals: Extra-wide pedals with foot straps are designed for comfort and stability.
- Heart Rate Monitoring: This bike is Bluetooth compatible for wireless heart rate monitoring. It also has a grip pulse reader on the handlebars.
- Two-Speed Fan: Catch the perfect breeze. This bike’s CoolAire workout fan has two speed settings and convenient console controls.
- Water Bottle Holder: Hydration is made convenient with a water bottle holder built into the bike frame.
- Transport Wheels: Easily move the ProForm 740 ES Commercial recumbent bike from room to room. Wheels are mounted to the front of the frame.
- High Capacity: This fitness machine has a maximum user weight capacity of 350 pounds.
- Good Warranty: The warranty is a very good deal if you only spend $799 and not full price ($1,299) for this bike. It includes lifetime coverage for the recumbent frame and brake, three years for parts and one year of labor.
- Maintenance Required: As mentioned above, the ProForm 740 ES isn’t actually a commercial bike. It isn’t commercial quality. Owners will need to occasionally tighten the bolts and in particular adjust a hex nut related to the tension control.
- Resistance System: This recumbent bike uses a mechanical resistance system. You might find that it makes this bike feel a bit more like a road bike than other top bikes do. However, this resistance system isn’t built to be as long-lasting as others.
- Customer Service: Customer service from this brand in general, though not for this particular product, has inspired lots of negative reviews.
Who Should Buy the ProForm 740 ES Commercial Recumbent Bike?
The Bottom Line
The combination of a low price and lots of tech makes the the ProForm 740 ES Commercial recumbent bike a very appealing ride. This fitness machine will require some simple home maintenance, but for many owners that’s a small price to pay for its motivating features.