Diamondback Fitness is a pioneer in BMX bikes and indoor fitness equipment. Established in 1977, this brand is based in the USA and distributed in the United States, Canada and the UK. It is part of the Accell Group’s worldwide portfolio of bicycles for middle and upper markets. Diamondback bikes regularly win awards such as ”Best Buy” and ”Head of the Class.”
For exercise bikes, Diamondback sells high quality products for $999 or less. These are meant for light commercial fitness rooms and single family households. Diamondback makes upright bikes, recumbent bikes and indoor cycle trainers that use quiet magnetic resistance — plus there’s the Diamondback Assault Airbike. This incredibly durable exercycle can run trouble-free for hundreds of thousands of hours.
Diamondback exercise bikes overall are marked by quiet operation and helpful built-in workout programs. They are durable and have steel frames. So is this the best exercise bike brand for you? Here are pro and con lists.
- Sturdy Bike Frames: Diamondback Fitness bike frames have limited lifetime warranties. A typical user weight capacity is 325 pounds.
- Heavy Flywheels: Diamondback Fitness provides heavy drives for smooth rides. They put 40-pound flywheels on their 910IC Indoor Cycle and 32-pound flywheels on the 510IC Indoor Cycle. Their recumbent and upright stationary bikes get up to 32-pound drives as well. The Assault Airbike, meanwhile, is designed to provide “unlimited” resistance.
- Unique Airbike: Diamondback is one of the few companies making air bikes. With smooth air-based resistance and moving arm bars, their Assault Airbike can support gentle, moderate or intense workouts for the whole body. Whatever intensity level is pursued, the motion is easy on joints. Diamondback describes this bike as appropriate for everyone from children to elite athletes and elderly trainees.
- Built-In Programs: Diamondback includes workout programming on all bike types, including indoor cycle trainers (which is rare). The Diamondback 910Ic Indoor Cycle Trainer has 18 workout modes, and the recumbent and upright bikes have up to 35. The Assault Airbike has preset workouts too.
- Heart Rate Monitors: All Diamondback Fitness exercise bikes help trainees track heart rate. Each bike has contact grips, plus wireless monitors are included on the more advanced models. The data can be used to control heart rate exercise programs.
- Adjustable Handlebars: Handlebars on Diamondback Fitness exercise bikes can be moved vertically or forward and backward to fit different riders.
- Adjustable Saddles: These bikes all have adjustable seats. However, some aren’t comfortable for people 5’3” and shorter.
- Entertainment: Diamondback’s top exercise bikes have speakers for MP3 players, tablet computer holders, and foldaway magazine racks.
- Water Bottle Holders: All Diamondback Fitness bikes have integrated water bottle holders.
- Self-Generating Power: Save on energy costs with Diamondback bikes that generate power from exercise! This feature also makes it convenient to place a bike anywhere in your home or on your patio.
- Quiet Operation: Most Diamondback Fitness bikes use magnetic resistance systems for quiet operation. The Assault Airbike operates quietly too, with noise coming from the fan.
- Warranty: Diamondback Fitness warranties tend to be generous in terms of parts replacement. For instance, the upright 510UB has a sale price of just $674 with a three-year parts warranty. However, the coverage for wear parts can be as short as 60 days.
Diamondback is a very strong brand. It’s justifiably won lots of ”Best Buy” awards. Still, here are a few complaints from customer reviews.
- Not for Short People: For people 5'3” and under, the pedals on Diamondback recumbent bikes might be placed too far away.
- Cooling Fan: On some units the fans are oddly placed, making them ineffectual unless a person leans right over the console.
- Assembly: Some of these bikes are more difficult and/or time-consuming to assemble than the average exercise bike.
Who Should Choose the Diamondback Fitness Bike Brand?
The Bottom Line
Diamondback Fitness offers some of the best exercise bike values in the industry. Their products are designed for everything from gentle rehab to prepping for intense outdoor trips. The prices are fair and the products are durable. Highly recommended!