An Entry-Level Exercise Bike with iFit
With low resistance and lots of workout programming, the ProForm 8.0 EX Upright Bike is designed to train newcomers to indoor cycling. Its 30 built-in workouts provide pro guidance for calorie burn and cardiovascular endurance -- and with an iFit membership this bike can download new workout routines every day.
With low resistance and lots of workout programming, the ProForm 8.0 EX Upright Stationary Bike is well equipped to motivate newcomers to indoor cycling. Its 30 built-in workouts provide pro guidance for calorie burn and cardiovascular endurance — and by activating iFit, you can get new customized workout routines every day. Now selling for $499 (down from $799) with a two-year parts warranty, this bike offers a lot of training for the money.
iFit readiness is a big selling point for ProForm exercise bikes. Using a wireless home Internet connection, iFit can take the ProForm 8.0 EX stationary bike online. Its Google Maps technology lets you virtually tour Europe, your own neighborhood or anywhere else in the world; just draw a route! Resistance on the bike will change to simulate the actual topography.
Other key specs for the ProForm 8.0 EX bike are a 16-pound drive and a wireless heart rate receiver. How does it all fit together? Here are lists of “The Great” and “The Not-So-Great.”
- Built-In Programs: To help you start exercising right away, the 8.0 EX bike has 30 preset workouts. These workouts were designed by certified personal trainers to help you efficiently burn calories and improve performance.
- iFit: For a monthly or yearly fee, riders can activate iFit and make the most of this machine. iFit provides immersive workout experiences with interactive video, daily downloads, online bike competitions, data tracking and other fun, motivating features.
- Display: This ProForm bike gives two viewing options. The built-in programs are shown on a 5″ LCD with blue backlighting. It’s easy to use and clear to read. Additionally, there’s room to set a tablet computer above the console. From there you can stream iFit video workouts or access other apps during exercise. The iFit option is highly recommended because it helps create an immersive almost-outdoors experience.
- Data: The data screen shows time, distance, calories, speed and heart rate all at once.
- Quiet Resistance: Ride without disturbing the peace. The 8.0 EX has magnetic resistance for a smooth, quiet ride.
- Extra-Wide Pedals: The pedals aren’t quite like those on an outdoor bicycle. They’re extra-wide and have straps to increase your stability.
- Heart Rate Monitoring: With Bluetooth compatibility, this bike can wirelessly track your heart rate throughout each workout session. It’s also equipped with grip pulse readers on the handlebars.
- Adjustable: The ProForm 8.0 EX has an adjustable saddle to fit riders of different heights. The console can be tilted too.
- Audio: Add your iPod! This bike has an Intermix Acoustics 2.0 Sound System (a set of 2″ speakers on the console). There’s also a port for charging mobile devices.
- Water Bottle Holder: A water bottle holder is included.
- High Capacity: The maximum user weight capacity is 300 pounds.
- Compact Size: Apartment friendly, the ProForm 8.0 EX stationary bike measures just 3′ 6″ long x 1′ 11″ wide.
- Fair Warranty: The new and better warranty for this bike covers the frame for a lifetime, the parts for two years, and labor for a year. An extra three-year warranty with in-home service costs $199. ProForm sells other extended warranties for this bike too.
Why wouldn’t you choose the ProForm 8.0 EX? Here are some possible drawbacks.
- Flywheel Weight: The 16-pound flywheel is effective for cardio training and calorie burn. It will not, however, replicate the feel of a street bike or provide intense muscle workouts.
- Maintenance Required: Priced as it is, it’s not surprising that this bike needs TLC. Owners will occasionally need to tighten screws and make other adjustments. The most common do-it-yourself maintenance issues relate to loosened resistance, a flickering display and inaccurate data reports.
Who Should Choose the ProForm 8.0 EX Upright Stationary Bike?
The Bottom Line
The ProForm 8.0 EX Upright Bike is a low-priced home fitness machine with light resistance. This bike’s most appealing feature is its workout variety.
ProForm 8.0 EX Upright Stationary Bike Specs:
|Weight Capacity:||300 LBS|
|Dimensions:||61.5" L x 23" W x 42" H|