Schwinn IC3 Indoor Cycle Trainer Review
The Schwinn IC3 is an indoor cycle for high-intensity training. It’s a top choice for households seeking a spin bike that’s low-priced yet ergonomic…
Schwinn IC3 Indoor Cycle Trainer Specs
|Dimensions||45" L x 23" W x 49" H|
How We Reviewed This Model
The Schwinn IC3 is a $499 bike with all the essentials for serious indoor cycling. Featuring a 40-pound flywheel, it supports smooth pedaling and can replicate the sensation of uphill/downhill riding. A favorite feature is the very customized resistance: With a dial you can set ideal tension for each part of your workout. Other highlights are adjustable multi-grip handlebars, Shimano pedals with shoe clips and cages, and compatibility with Polar heart rate monitors.
Indoor cycle trainers are usually light on console features, and that’s the case with this budget model. Still you get an LCD monitor with the following readouts: time, speed, RPM, distance, calorie and heart rate. Also included are an oversized bottle holder and space for a mobile device.
- Good Resistance System: A 40-pound flywheel helps support smooth pedaling and the sensation of outdoor cycling dynamics. You can adjust the resistance with a knob and choose from infinite levels; there are no presets.
- Data Console: The IC3 has a small workout computer that indicates your exercise time, distance, speed, RPM and calories burned. It can also display your heart rate if you wear a Polar or Polar-compatible chest strap (sold separately). This data monitor is battery powered, and to save energy it shuts off after four minutes of inactivity. It can show English and metric units.
- Pedals: Pedal at top speed without fear of slipping! Shimano pedals are provided with shoe clips and toe cages. High quality pedals like these are rare on exercise bikes under $500.
- Adjustable Seat: To fit different riders the bike saddle can be moved up/down and forward/backward. Making adjustments is quick and easy with a knob pin.
- Adjustable Multi-grip Handlebars: The handlebars can be moved horizontally and vertically for a custom fit. They’re also shaped to support different riding poses. With the option to reposition your hands during a ride, you can extend your workout session.
- High Capacity: This bike can safely hold up to 300 pounds.
- Small Footprint: The Schwinn IC3 takes up very little space. Its footprint measures 45″ x 23″.
- Levelers: The frame has levelers in case your floor is uneven.
- Transport Wheels: Caster wheels are attached to the bike frame. If you tilt the IC3, you can easily roll the fitness machine to a different location.
- Warranty: Parts and electronics are covered for two years, which is a good deal for the $499 price.
- Uncomfortable Seat: A basic racing-style bike seat is provided. Because it’s small and unpadded, you might want to add a gel seat topper or other cushioning.
- No Workout Programming: Unlike the Peloton and other high-end spin bikes, the IC3 lacks training programs.
WHO SHOULD RIDE THE SCHWINN IC3?
An indoor cycle trainer, the IC3 is meant for high-intensity training. It’s a good fit if your primary exercise goals are intense cardio training, rapid calorie burn and lower-body toning. In contrast, recumbent exercise bikes are best for people who seek very low-impact rehabilitative exercise.
Schwinn Fitness advises that the IC3 is for ages 14 and up. The weight limit is 300 pounds.
The Bottom Line
The Schwinn IC3 Indoor Cycle Trainer is a top bargain for home fitness. This model is well-equipped for the $499 sale price, and customer reviews indicate that it’s durable too. The IC3 is a first choice spin bike when workout programming isn’t a priority.
Tip: Hold out for free delivery! Schwinn Fitness offers this discount about half the time.