SEE BEST PRICE
Schwinn A25 Recumbent Bike Review
This model has been discontinued. See below for the best alternative model.
How We Reviewed This Model
Compared Against 100+ other Indoor Bikes
The good-looking Schwinn A25 Recumbent Exercise Bike leads Schwinn’s series of very low-resistance recumbent bikes. It provides adjustable back support and is especially easy on your whole body. This is one of the most adjustable recumbent bikes we’ve seen; it can fit a rider who’s very short, very tall or somewhere in between.
Recumbent bikes are meant for rehab, weight loss, cardiovascular exercise and toning the leg muscles. With the Schwinn A25l in particular, there’s not a great deal a great deal of power; this model is pretty similar to the latest version of one step down, the Schwinn A20. The most obvious difference might be the console, which is a bit more advanced here because it shows the course profile. Both bikes have six workout programs plus manual mode.
The Schwinn A25 sells for about $299, making it one of the cheapest exercise bikes across all our reviews. Is it the best recumbent bike for you? Here are some pros and cons of choosing this model.
Here are some reasons people choose the Schwinn A25 Recumbent Bike.
- Walk-Through Design: Like other recumbent bikes, the A25 is low to the ground and has a walk-through design. This makes it safer and more convenient for people with physical limitations.
- Adjustable Seating: Adjusting the seat’s distance from the pedals and console is easy. This bike can be comfortable for almost any adult.
- Stable Frame: This bike weighs just 61 pounds but has a 275-pound user weight capacity.
- Built-In Fitness Programs: The A25 bike has six workout profiles and a quick-start manual mode. The profiles are categorized as Fun Rides, Mountains and Challenges. Feedback such as pulse, speed, distance and RPM are shown too. When workouts are through, a summary of performance data is shown. The console automatically sleeps after five minutes of inactivity.
- Heart Rate Monitoring: The Schwinn A25 has a grip heart rate monitor built into the handlebars. On the A20, the contact monitor is on the console (not as convenient).
- Quiet: This bike provides eight levels of smooth magnetic resistance. Most riders report that it runs quietly. The flywheel weighs about 13 pounds.
- Extras: The A25 Recumbent Bike has an integrated water bottle holder, a media tray and speakers for an MP3 player.
- High Capacity: The maximum weight capacity is 275 pounds (125 kilograms).
- Small Size: This bike is compact as far as recumbents go. Its footprint is 61″ x 15.5″.
- Low Price: Qualifying as a budget exercise bike, this unit sells for less than $300.
The Schwinn A25 Recumbent Bike only supports low-intensity exercise. It is very low-priced too, so expecting it to feel like a commercial gym bike wouldn’t be reasonable. Here are some potential drawbacks.
- Imperfect Parts: Schwinn gets more than its fair share of complaints about imperfect parts. It isn’t one of the cheapest exercise bike brands, but it isn’t one of the best. These products don’t have the same high standards of famous Schwinn road bikes made in the USA.
- Batteries or Cord Required: There’s some expense beyond the bike. The console uses 4 D batteries or can be operated with an AC adaptor (sold separately).
- Media Tray: It’s nice to have an iPad tray, but if you bring your tablet it will obscure your view of the fitness data.
- Warranty: Schwinn’s exercise bike warranties are substandard. With the A25 you get three years of coverage for the frame, one year for mechanical parts and electronics, 60 days for wear parts, and free labor during the first 60 days only. A more expected warranty for a bike at this price would give free labor for a year.
Who Should Ride the Schwinn A25 Recumbent Exercise Bike?
The Schwinn A25 is best for people seeking very low-stress workouts. This comfortable recumbent bike provides eight levels of resistance that are unlikely to bring much muscle burn. It has a 275-pound weight capacity and is adjustable for a wide range of rider heights.
The Bottom Line
The Schwinn A25 Recumbent Exercise Bike supports very low-impact cardiovascular workouts and may be approved for physical rehabilitation purposes. It is not a big step up from the slightly cheaper Schwinn A20. This bike isn’t one of the most robust or powerful recumbent bikes, but for $299 or less it can offer lots of light workouts for the money.
Schwinn A25 Recumbent Bike Specs
|Console display||Large LCD window|
|Resistance||8 Magnetic Levels|
|Dimensions||61" L x 15.5" W x n/a H|