Vision R40 Recumbent Bike Review
See below for the best alternative model.
How We Reviewed This Model
Loaded with enticing options, the comfortable Vision R40 Recumbent Bike would motivate almost any trainee. Its parts are protected with a short light commercial warranty (one year) or a long residential warranty (five years). Shoppers can choose from three consoles — Classic, Elegant and Touch — and get up to 17 preset programs.
The most exciting perk on this bike is the interactive workout videos built into the Elegant and Touch versions. These videos respond to rider speed and intensity to create realistic immersive experiences. Additionally, all versions of the Vision U40 have Passport Player compatibility. With Passport Player videos and a high-definition TV, riders can virtually experience beautiful destinations worldwide.
There’s a lot to praise, but is this the best exercise bike for your home or commercial gym? Here are some pros and cons to consider about the Vision R40 Recumbent Bike.
The GreatA main advantage of this exercycle is the recumbent seating. It provides good lumbar support while supporting a low-impact position for cycling. Additionally, here are some reasons people like the Vision R40.
- The choice of console helps the Vision R40 appeal to a wide range of shoppers. The Classic console is very simple yet provides five workout programs; the Elegant console has a 7″ touch screen and 13 programs including video; and the Touch console has a 10″ touch screen with 17 programs including video. The latter two consoles can also be used with ViaFit, which interfaces with various fitness apps and websites.
- Data: The Vision Touch and Elegant consoles provide more data than any others we’ve reviewed. Riders can customize the displays to show specific fields too. The options include Distance, Speed, Calories, Calories Per Hour, RPM, Level, Watts, Total Time, Time Remaining, Time Elapsed, METs, Heart Rate, Percent Heart Rate and Target Heart Rate.
- Sturdy Steel Frame: Vision Fitness bike frames are virtually indestructible and the U40’s frame has a lifetime guarantee. It is built from heavy steel and has a 325-pound user weight capacity.
- Heart Rate Monitors: The Vision R40 Recumbent Bike has contact grips on the handlebars and a wireless heart rate receiver. A chest strap is included for the wireless receiver when customers buy one of the advanced consoles (Elegant or Touch).
- Magnetic Brake: The R40’s resistance is controlled with an eddy current braking system. This frictionless magnetic system promotes quiet operation and longevity.
- Device Charger: All versions of this bike have a USB port to charge electronics drawing up to one amp.
- Audio: An iPod connection and speaker set are built into the Vision Touch consoles.
- Water Bottle Holder: The Vision R40 has an integrated water bottle holder.
- High Capacity: This fitness machine has a 325-pound user weight capacity.
- Warranty: This exercise bike has a good residential warranty. For residential use all parts and electronics are under warranty for five years and labor is free during the first two years. For commercial settings the warranty isn’t so generous; parts are only covered for a year and the machine can’t be used for more than three hours/day. Labor is provided during the first year of ownership in either setting type.
The Vision R40 is a popular choice, but it’s not for everyone. Here are some possible drawbacks.
- Resistance: The R40 has a 24-pound flywheel. This is a common flywheel weight, but elite athletes would choose a different bike for serious strength training. The resistance here is best for rehab, muscle toning, cardio training and weight loss.
- Expense: This bike costs more than many of its competitors do. The Passport Player and Passport videos cost extra too…
Who Should Ride the Vision R40 Recumbent Bike?
The Bottom Line
The Vision R40 Recumbent Bike is a recommended luxury ride for home gyms. It can be tailored to different households’ preferences — with basic programming or interactive video — and has a long residential warranty.
For light commercial or commercial use, we recommend the Vision U70 Commercial Recumbent Bike instead. It has a longer commercial warranty.
Vision R40 Recumbent Bike Specs
|Console display||3 Options|
|Seat type||Comfort Arc Mesh /w Recline|
|Programs||Depends on Console|
|Dimensions||64" L x 26" W x 54" H|