SEE BEST PRICE
BH Fitness SK8400 Recumbent
This model has been discontinued. See below for the best alternative model.
How We Reviewed This Model
Compared Against 100+ other Indoor Bikes
The SK8400 Recumbent is among BH Fitness’s most exclusive reclining exercise bikes. It can handle more than eight hours of use daily, and it’s sold with three long-term warranty packages: commercial, light commercial and residential. A special feature is “Powered by You” technology: No power outlet is required to operate the equipment, so owners get more flexibility regarding where to place the bike.
Automotive-grade paint gives the SK8400 an especially high-class look. Key specs for training include 40 workout programs, 20 levels of magnetic resistance, and Polar-compatible wireless heart rate tracking. Some extra features are MP3 player compatibility, fingertip controls for resistance, and a two-speed fan to help keep the rider cool.
Is the SK400 Recumbent the best bike for your needs? Here are pros and cons lists to help you decide.
Here are some selling points for the BH Fitness SK8400 bike.
- Recumbent Seating: BH Fitness recumbent bikes get sturdy chair-like seats. The SK8400 gets the brand’s cushioned seat (rather than a mesh seat). It is microadjustable to help the bike fit almost any trainee. Handrails along the seat offer extra stability and have fingertip controls for electronic resistance.
- Self-Generating Power: Power for the console is generated by pedaling. This eliminates energy costs and makes it convenient to place this cordless bike anywhere in a workout room. When only the self-generating power is used, exercise data are shown for 60 seconds after exercise has completed. The console arrives with rechargeable batteries that can keep it running for longer.
- Workout Programs: The SK8400 bike has 40 diverse preset programs, which is more than any other BH Fitness recumbent bike. Two of the programs are fitness tests and one is for a user-determined target heart rate. The console has buttons for quick start, level adjustment, pause and stop.
- Resistance: Riders can choose from 20 levels of quiet and smoothly-shifting magnetic resistance.
- Console: A bright red LED screen displays strides, strides per minute, time, distance in miles or kilometers, calories, watts and pulse. The computer can be set to run in a variety of world languages.
- Heart Rate Monitoring: The SK8400 Recumbent bike has a Polar compatible wireless heart rate receiver and contact pulse sensors.
- Audio: This exercise bike is compatible with MP3 players through an in-line connection. Audio is available through a built-in speaker set or a jack for headphones.
- Fan: A two-speed personal cooling fan is built into the bike.
- Secure Pedaling: The bike pedals have strong ratcheting foot straps for stability.
- High-Grade Finish: Automotive-grade paint gives the BH Fitness SK8400 a long-lasting classy shine.
- Water Bottle Holder: A water bottle holder is attached to the bike stem.
- Very High Capacity: The SK8400 Recumbent Bike weighs about 175 pounds. It has a 420-pound maximum user weight capacity.
- Warranty: This bike is sold with residential, light commercial and commercial warranties. Residential owners of course get the best deal: lifetime frame protection, 10 years of parts protection and two years of labor. The commercial warranty shortens the frame protection to seven years and the parts protection to three, but it lets you run the bike for more than eight hours per day. Parts protection on the light commercial SK8400 is for five years.
Here are some potential disadvantages of choosing the BH Fitness SK8400 Recumbent Bike.
- No Mesh Seat Back: Most recumbent exercise bikes use a mesh material on their seats. This helps keep riders cool. Here BH Fitness opted instead for a well-cushioned seat with less air flow. However, the bike does have a two-speed console fan.
- No Walk-Through Frame: This bike’s design is comfortable for most riders. However, a trainee with limited mobility might prefer a recumbent bike with a walk-through design.
- No Transport Wheels: This bike doesn’t have attached transport wheels. It weighs 175 pounds and isn’t so easy to move.
- Price: This commercial bike costs above average. If you’re shopping for a light commercial workout center or a household, you could probably get away with spending less by choosing a different recumbent bike from BH Fitness or another brand.
Who Should Buy the BH Fitness SK8400 Recumbent Bike?
The BH Fitness SK8400 Recumbent is a good choice for commercial fitness centers. The warranty takes care of the parts and labor for a good length of time, and this bike doesn’t require external power.
It is designed to fit almost anyone: The SK8400 can hold up to 420 pounds, which is one of the highest weight capacities on our exercise bike review site. It also has micro-adjustability for riders’ heights.
This bike’s recumbent frame and ultra-smooth resistance support low-impact cycling for physical rehabilitation, muscle toning, heart health and weight management.
The Bottom Line
The BH Fitness SK8400 Recumbent is a quiet, convenient and durable option for busy commercial fitness centers. BH Fitness defines “commercial” as more than eight hours/day, whereas some other brands invalidate a warranty if you exceed six hours of use.
This bike is built for heavy use. For light commercial gyms (and posher home gyms) it’s easy to find lower-priced alternatives. One is the BH Fitness LK500Ri, which has 26 programs and connects with the Internet.
BH Fitness SK8400 Recumbent Specs
|Console display||Bright Red LED Screen Display|
|Resistance||20 Resistance Levels|
|Dimensions||n/a L x n/a W x n/a H|